Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

Gentlemen,
I finally got around to using the bottle of Coppermelt I bought a few months back. I used it on my custom .340wby. This wears a Lilja barrel. I fired only 12 rounds through it and it was clean before I started. I took it home to try out this infamous coppermelt. 31 patches later and 5 patches of Barnes to get the patches to come out white.. What is going on? Why did it take this long and so many patches? This is the first time I used the bottle, it had never been opened.. Also what are your procedures when using Coppermelt? I used a .270cal nylon brush wrapped in a pro shot cotton patch. with about 8 drops of Coppermelt.. Thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: Coppermelt, what am I doing wrong?

I'm sorry I don't have an answer...I bought a bottle and went to the range...within 5 min of using the stuff it got retired! I found within a few strokes my patch was toast! so I went back to the old fashion way :-) on the shelf it sits. I ran the copper melt through 4 rifles that I had cleaned using regular cleaning chems.. and not one patch came out blue...and to get the bore in that condition it only takes me 5 min the old fashion way.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Gold Member

Long range,
I feel the same way.. It will be retired or sold if I don't find out what I'm doing wrong.. I didn't have any instructions cause my bottle didn't come with any and their site is down, but I thought I did everything right from what people on this site said.. Hell I could have used Blue Wonder and ran it through the bore. let it sit for 5mins. patch it out and be done for the day!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't ever used coppermelt but I use Sweets in my factory guns with good results , in any of my custom barrels Shooters Choice/kroil does a great job
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Gold Member

Bowman I have a couple of questions then maybe I can answer yours.

#1 What kind of core does your brush have? If it's not steel the patches will always be blue because the coppermelt will eat the bronze from the core and turn the patch blue. Brass core same results.
#2 What cal patch are you using? If there is too tight a fit you will be toasting the patches too soon. 8 drops is a good amount unless it's a very large patch and it's not getting wet enough. Try a 30 cal brush with a 33 cal patch and wet the first couple of patches good but dont soak them to the point of wasting it and then reduce the amount of coppermelt after the first say 3 patches because there will be some left in there from the earlier patches.
The object is to use a brush patch combo that fits snugly enough to fill the bore riflings and all but not be so tight the patch is shot after 4 strokes. You need to get at least 10 to 15 strokes with a patch for the optimum cleaning that way a patch abosorbs all the copper it can before it gets tossed.
All my rigs come clean less than 8 patches with 20 to 30 rounds fired down the tube since last cleaning.
I did see what your talking about with a friends 7 rem mag but it was the 3rd time he had used coppermelt. His barrel is very worn with a rough section directly behind the throat.
The first time we used coppermelt on it it was clean in 8 patches and the second time was the same but the third time he had been shooting some different bullets known for copper fouling ( barnes ) and this time it refused to be cleaned. We assumed it was the rough section had harbored so much coppere in the cracks that it was going to be a challenge and after soaking with 2 other checmicals for a period of time and scrubbing with the brush patch combo in between we got it out and now it cleans like normal again.
Hope all that helps a little.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Also what are your procedures when using Coppermelt? I used a .270cal nylon brush wrapped in a pro shot cotton patch. with about 8 drops of Coppermelt..

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a question that you should have asked before you wasted 31 patches. I have never heard of anyone using this many patches before-even on a rough factory barrel. A custom Lilja should take about 2-4 patches max.
I don't know exactly why it took 31 patches, but maybe your barrel wasn't as clean as you thought it was before you started. THis has been very common with coppermelt. People will clean their gun with Butch's bore shine until it comes out white and then they think it's done. THen I tell them to clean it again with Coppermelt and the patch comes out sky blue.
Another possibility is that you may have gotten a contaminated bottle or pipette, or the enzyme may have been killed by some other reason in transit. Or, like 7rumloader suggested, the brass tip of your rod or center brass part of the brush maybe gave you a bad reading.

Anyway, your experience was not like anyone else's I have heard. What I would do is shoot the gun again and then see if it still takes that many patches to get clean.

If you need more help on procedures, check out the coppermelt post I made last fall.
good luck.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I ran the copper melt through 4 rifles that I had cleaned using regular cleaning chems.. and not one patch came out blue...and to get the bore in that condition it only takes me 5 min the old fashion way.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so let me get this straight. You gave up on coppermelt as a gun cleaner because you used too tight of a patch, and you used it on guns that were already clean so that told you that it was a bad cleaner?

How could it prove itself to you if it never got to clean out the stuff it was designed to dissolve because there was none of it in your barrel to start with?!

No matter, I am sure you can find someone who will use it correctly and will be happy to relieve you of the remainder of your bottle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.