I got a chance today to break-in uncle b's new 284 bsm dodad whatzit magnum today and here are the results.
It is a 6 groove Shilen select match barrel and the only product used in break in was Coppermelt.
In 2 hours and 45 minutes, I shot 10 shots and ran 30 patches down the bore and completed the break-in! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
It was a very smooth barrel, one of the best I have ever seen and I think it seriously took only 2 shots to smooth her out and the other 8 were just for insurance! Still, even with that smooth of a barrel, any other copper solvent would have taken all day and probably part of another to do the same thing. Coppermelt is amazing!
Here is the sequence of patches. They are numbered with two numbers. THe first is the number of shots through the barrel before the sequence starts. The second number is the patch number. It reads in top to bottom columns from left to right. Notice how all the 3rd or 4th patches in each sequence are almost pure white and all the first patches are almost jet black! After the eight shot, I cleaned and fired the last 2 shots together (9th and 10th round) and called them the "last two" thus the "L2".
Even with double the copper down the bore, it still took the same amount of patches as the shot before.
Oh, I reversed 4-1 and 4-2 on accident.
Here is the last sequences. I think she's done!
Here is all the patches stacked up. 30 in all! My bag of patches lasts forever!
Here is the cartridge next to a 25-06. It is a 7mm-270wsm throated for the long polymer tipped bullets. The one pictured is a 154 Hornady interbond seated about .060" of the lands.