Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Concentrated Ammonia for cleaning barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Concentrated Ammonia for cleaning barrels

[ QUOTE ]
How many rounds, before the 50's accuracy comes back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never did that I know of. He has since sold that barrel.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
( I posted industrial ammonia was IMAO better than GG favorite - I

[/ QUOTE ]

B1g B0re my friend, try my way before you slam it man. You just might recall this statement!

[ QUOTE ]
This is a too common wifes tail - my first contribution to the 50 community was disproving this myth. Lilja's site says ammonia can't attack a barrel

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious. Sweets and CR10 are only 5% ammonia and both companies tell you right on the bottle to not leave it in the barrel longer than 10 min and you are using 100% ammonia and leave it in overnight? Sounds bad to me, but if you say you haven't lost accuracy I believe you.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

I don't have a lot of experence with ammonia based solvents, but ive been using CR10 for a while. I leave it on stainless for a long time... no problems. Saw surface rust on a blued steel barrel that the guy claimed he only had it in there for 45min. I thought the issue was one of the ammonia stripping all the oils, and that the blued steels would develop rust quickly afterward... but like I said.... my experence is only with CR10.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Writers Guild

Ian, so glad you had a great hunt. Must be nice...

Will send you an email when I get a chance to chat. Lots of new toys and hoping to finish that 450 Alaskan in the next few months.

New home with ground up renos, kids, no time...

Jerry
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

B1g B0re my friend, try my way before you slam it man. You just might recall this statement!

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your right. Concentrated Ammonia is a pain in the arse - it's horrible. Remember I'm learning - so I have a license to flip flop [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd love to try it but I can't find it. No slam intended.

[ QUOTE ]

Curious. Sweets and CR10 are only 5% ammonia and both companies tell you right on the bottle to not leave it in the barrel longer than 10 min and you are using 100% ammonia and leave it in overnight? Sounds bad to me, but if you say you haven't lost accuracy I believe you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's how the debate started 18 months ago on the BH ( 50 BMG forum ). The speculation is you leave some in your barrel, unsealed, and it drips out or evaporates. It has stripped all the oil so your barrel starts to rust.
As mentioned Liljas site says Ammonia by itself can't harm and one guy tested it. You must clean out the ammonia in your barrel when your done then apply oil.

One minor pedantic note (just don't call me Jon Kerry for flip flopping and being pedantic [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) It's not 100% ammonia but it's much stronger than CR10, Sweets, etc.

abinok writes: [ QUOTE ]
I thought the issue was one of the ammonia stripping all the oils,

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly - at least that's the consensus after extensive debate on the topic.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

1 Gallon of industrial strength ammonia: $5

Wearing a complete bio-chemical suit so you don't burn your lungs out while cleaning your gun: Priceless [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

I haven't used a high concentrate. It seems that no matter how many dry patches I run and oil the barrel cr10 gives off an amonia smell after firing. I'd be afraid to use anything stronger.