Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Coleman Extreme Coolers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Coleman Extreme Coolers

In August, I bought two 100 qt Coleman Extreme Coolers on sale at Cablea’s in Pa. They claim they will keep ice for 5 days in 90 degree temperatures.

I boned out the big bull (sounds better than the “little bull”) and put the meat out on a 9ft by 12 ft plastic tarp. I then put all of the smaller pieces in plastic qt and gal. bags while it was snowing. After getting all of the meat down hill, I put it in the two coolers and took it to the butcher shop in Salmon, Id., Rocky Mountain Custom Pack. He put the two coolers on the floor of his locker with the lid up for just about 48 hours which froze the meat solid as it sat in the coolers. I picked up the coolers Monday morning at 9:00 and got two 5# packs of dry ice and placed one in the top of each cooler and closed them up. Four days later I opened up the coolers at home and the meat was still frozen so well that I had trouble getting it thawed out to cut and repackage.

Good coolers.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Coleman Extreme Coolers

I can second this. I had a deer aging on ice in my kitchen for 5 days. I had to use my bread knife to saw through the hams to cut my steaks. Only problem I have with them is the cheap/wimpy/weak handles they put on there. Had the handles rip out while carrying chest full of ice. Can't carry that one anymore; however, still keeps cold things cold for a long time.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Jim C.

Nobody cares [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] On your end that is ! Who's going to eat all that scrumptdilliumptious elk meat ? You better go host some wild game cookouts in the places wher the likes of Darryl Cassel and others hang .

Glad you are home safe , we have been home a bit before you and already we are missing the west and the ability to "hunt" stuff at long range simply by looking out over the plains .

BTW , the freezer didn't even think about thawing out with 350 to 400 lbs of frozen antelope in it either . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Here is what may be a long line of pix as I don't know how to send them faster .

I might add , I don't want to know either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [image][/image]
Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

[image][/image]

Sorry Jim C, this is the pic I meant for you
Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Jimm- That picture came out really great. Looks just like the old days when a person would kill twenty deer or so.

I don't think the Coleman coolers can compare to the real thing. You do need to run on down to NAPA and get a set of Thrush glass packs for the generator though.

Sewhat

The butcher said one problem with freezing things in the cooler is that the plastic hinges snap when frozen so he just propped open the lid a little but not way on back.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: coleman coolers
All the hinges are broke on mine!!
I need to find some replacements, but have not even started to look yet!
If any body knows where to get hinges please post
Thanks CAM
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Academy generally has all the replacement parts in stock.