Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Cold weather lube.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Cold weather lube.

Hi everyone. This is a copy of a post I placed on another site with almost no response. True it is about a shotgun but I could really use some input from others who have had a similar problem and found a fix.

[ QUOTE ]
I could really use your help here. I won't go into the history of how I came to be the owner of a Beretta Pintail but I have one and I am satisfied with it except for the fact that it cycles sluggishly when I have less than 100 rounds through it. In freezing or near freezing weather this sluggish behavior becomes noticeable after 20 rounds and by 30 rounds the bolt stops its forward motion as the shell lifter is in its lift cycle.

I tried running the gun completely dry of lube and I also stretched the recoil spring two inches longer than its relaxed length when removed from the gun.

It seems that the powder residue is what is gumming up the bearing surfaces between the bolt body (mostly on top of the bolt) and the inside of the receiver.

What should I do? I can try another ammo (I heard that Federal makes a clean burning steel shot load). Should I use MORE lube than in warm weather and if so which one? Grease or oil and why? Is it an option to have either the inside of the receiver or the outside of the bolt body hard chromed?

Help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there it is. I'm all ears.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cold weather lube.

4ked horn - I had a Ithica 20 ga that had a similar problem in really cold wheather. I cleaned it real good and then used a dry graphite powder on it and it seemed to work unless it was very wet outside. I killed thousands of ducks with that gun and was still going strong when I got rid of it.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:07 AM
Gold Member

Another idea is to use BreakFree. It doesn't get real thick in cold weather & tends to keep powder residue dissolved. This was the secret to keeping the old AutoMag pistol running in hot or cold weather. Good Luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Writers Guild

Me thinks this is more of a fouling issue then a lube issue. Your action is gumming up. Change to a cleaner burning powder first. If that doesn't work, increase the port pressure. This should get the action working 'faster'.

Maybe a recoil spring change is in order????

For any weather, I use synthetic grease. Grey tube, clear in colour. Called synthetic lube and available just about everywhere. I have yet to have that go hard in some cold and wet climate. I also use the oil made by the same company.

Jerry
Old 12-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Jer

[ QUOTE ]
Me thinks this is more of a fouling issue then a lube issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I am quickly begining to believe is the problem. Mostly because the gun fails to cycle even after the gun warms back up to room temp when the bolt is pulled to the rear and released by hand. However I am currently experimenting with using more lube (Remoil) than normal in an attempt to keep this excessive fouling broken up.

[ QUOTE ]
Change to a cleaner burning powder first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't reload steel but my friend Gonehuntingagain said that the guys on a waterfoul forum he visits seem to think Federals "super steel" loads are burning real clean. I will try these as soon as I run low on the ammo I already have (soon).

[ QUOTE ]
If that doesn't work, increase the port pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this and how would I go about doing it?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a recoil spring change is in order????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on the list.

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of "port pressure" so I am interested to hear what you have to share about this.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I think I know what Jerry is getting at - increase port pressure would be accomplished by opening up the gas port (like on a Rem 1100) or by using a powder that is more optimal for a gas operated action - too bad the pintail is an inertia/recoil powered action like the Benelli actions.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

I'm wit'cha. I will investigate to see if I can retard the bolt movement a fraction of a second. Maybe the Sure Cycle is the solution.