Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Chrony draws a blank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Chrony draws a blank

Right here in this one thread is the major reason I hesitate even purchasing a chrongraph. They don't like the sun, they don't like the clouds, they hate muzzle blast, and even if they have everything to their liking, they still will produce error factors as much as 8%. So what is the purpose of even doing this if one cannot rely on the accuracy of the equipment? I sense I would be better off not even worrying about MV and just develop a drop chart for my loads in my rifle at the yardages I will be shooting. Of course doing this will result in a cost in ammunition equaling the cost of a good chronograph. Just ain't no inexpensive way to merge into this undertaking I guess.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Chrony draws a blank

Good point but you still would have to reshoot your drops with every change of powder or other components. I find them extremely valuable but they have made me so mad I could spit when they fail and I have scheduled a day at the range to do load development,,,very frustrating! I was happy with the PVM-21 for a while and then it started to malfunction..( inadequate connections for field use I think????).so I think my next will be the CED Milleniun II with the infra red attachment ( which purportedly does away with the need for ambient light) but then you need a power source or must hassle batteries, etc. I regard them as necessary evils but worth it to do load development and for external ballistic calcs 30-338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief1942 View Post
Right here in this one thread is the major reason I hesitate even purchasing a chrongraph. They don't like the sun, they don't like the clouds, they hate muzzle blast, and even if they have everything to their liking, they still will produce error factors as much as 8%. So what is the purpose of even doing this if one cannot rely on the accuracy of the equipment? I sense I would be better off not even worrying about MV and just develop a drop chart for my loads in my rifle at the yardages I will be shooting. Of course doing this will result in a cost in ammunition equaling the cost of a good chronograph. Just ain't no inexpensive way to merge into this undertaking I guess.