Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Which chronograph do you use - REVIEW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

re: Which chronograph do you use - REVIEW

An old PACT Pro is still servng quite well for me. They are quite a bit less expensive today. And I've never felt that a "proof" channel would have offered me a thing. The only time I've ever had an "issue" with start/stop or velocities was when I first got it and didn't have the sensors far enough from the muzzle or didn't shoot high enough in the window. Or if I allowed sunlight to shine directly into the sensor slits. More operator problems (me) than the instrument's. ???

Last edited by boomtube; 05-16-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Chrony Beta.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

I'm using a 18 year old Pact model. I was getting ready to upgrade to the CED but after doing a trajectory validation with Exbal, I realized that this thing is dead on.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM

I have had a pact xp chronograph for about a year. It works very well on cloudy overcast days but when the sun comes out forget it. The l.e.d. screen reads NO START SIGNAL DETECTED. I have called pact twice , the first time they said to tilt the sensors and skyscreen to one side or the other in an effort to change the amount of light recieved by the sensors.This did not work,and imagine if you can shooting through a chrono tipped to the side, it's just not right.The next time I called the guy on the phone told me that the sensors are set at the factory for optimum conditions and that if they changed the sensors to work in bright light I would experience the same problem only now it would be on cloudy days. The sensors are set at a happy medium & thats the way it is . I have a cardboard shade which works sometimes but not reliably. Last time out,bright sun,NO START SIGNAL DETECTED,and my improvised shade did'nt work,so I picked up the tripod and moved the unit from 10 feet, and in the sun to 4 feet from the muzzle & out of the sun, in the shade of the shacks roof.The chrono worked good for the rest of the day.The chrono survived my 22-250 @4 feet, but I fear ruination with the 8mm rem mag. A fellow shooter suggested I try putting black tape over the aluminum base to reduce glare.I will try anything. Long story short;Don't buy a Pact XP.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 AM
Gold Member

I have a beta chrony and a ced m2. the beta is slower than the ced. I don't think the components on the ced are high quality. The computer looks like a calculator from china you get at the bank for signing up for free checking. It works great but it looks cheesy.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

CED M2. I'm happy with it but it is the first chrony I've ever owned or used so I do not have anything to compare it with.

I have used it in high heat and bright sun without issue.
Using it with Exbal my drops to 600 yards have been accurate.

I need to buy the carry case.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I've used them all over the years, and found nothing that compares to the PVM-21 that I am currently using. It's quite a bit more money than the rest, but in the end, why compromise in an area that is so crucial to the final result ..

Last edited by Joel Russo; 07-18-2009 at 10:12 AM.