Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

which chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:07 PM

which chronograph

I am looking at getting a chronograph. Any sugestions on what brand or model to get. I don't need anything too fancy just the nuts and bolts.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: which chronograph

nehunter, There are a number of folks who dwell here that will insist that you must have an Oehler or Mellenium or such. They are the most expensive! Personally, I have been using a Chrony Beta Master (yes, Virginia, one of the folding kind) for years and have NEVER had a problem of any kind. I know of a lot of others who use them too, and the problems with them seem to be no more numerous than with any other brand. I am by no means an expert, but mine has worked very well for me. www.shootingchrony.com
Good luck and good shooting.
Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 03-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have a new-in-the-box Beta Chrony. If you're interested drop me an email.

Outside of that, I am a die-hard Oehler user & believer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

Has anyone used the Prochrono from Competition Electronics? How good are they, they cost around $100.00 and change.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I had a " old in the box" Chrony that I sent to a old folks home in Idaho to die a well deserved death ( at the hands of one of those " old folks " ) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Get what you can afford , use it , buy the next best thing when you can afford it . Give or sell the last " next best thing " but don't .......whatever you do , DON'T stop growing .

Jim B.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

The cheap cronygraph has worked for me for the last 3 years as well. Once I figured out how and when to use the thing, it gives me what I want to know, velocities and thas it. It'll let you know when you find a good spread, and a bad spread. Thats all I have ever wanted it to do, and it only cost me $70. Lots of people I hear have had problems, but I have not experienced any, as of yet anyways.