Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

chey tec 375

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: chey tec 375

Good luck with the 375CT.Bullets are comeing but there is very litle out there right now for long range!
Had a 375BMG for a few years that was very fast(4450-5300fps) but not very practicle.Ya can't miss them fast enough to killem trust me! A conversation piece can be had a lot cheaper!
But what the heck does practicle have to do with it
Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Last I heard Chey Tac had contracted Sierra to make a 350 and 375 gr version of the 375 cal SMK. As far as I know, the entire lot of bullets will be shipped to Chey Tac industries and not available to the public. I also heard that they would probably be available from CT if you wanted to buy the bullets from them.

In talking with Barney Lawton, the 375 Chey Tac is a hell of a round when using the Lost River Ballistic bullet. It is outperforming the 338 rounds off the 408 case by a bit but these bullets are very spendy and you need the right barrel to get them to shoot well. Barney makes specially designed barrels for these bullets and they also work great for other conventional bullets as well.

Wildcat Bullets is working on getting set up for the 375 cal bullets as well. If that happens I hope to talk Richard into going up in bullet weight. Personally, for a conventional lead core bullet design, 375 gr is to light for me unless it is a tipped bullet. I would much rather see a 400 gr bullet and I hope to talk Richard into making me some for my 375 Allen Magnum when its ready to roll. This is basically the same as the 375 CT but with the shoulder moved farther forward for about 10 grains more capacity just like my 338 AM compared to the 338 CT.

Right now the limiting factor is available bullets. Get a Lawton barrel and you can use the LRB bullets if you can afford to shoot them. With a rifle in this price range bullet price really is not a huge factor if you can afford the rifle but still its a consideration.

Other then that, until Sierra makes available the heavier SMK bullets there are really no good options. The 300 gr Sierra BTSP would be a screamer of a bullet but ballistically not even in the same ball park as any of the upper weight 338 long range bullets.

About the 50 cal based on the 408, that is an impressive round. Make it in a rifle heavier then 15 lbs though, mine is currently waiting for a muzzle brake upgrade if I ever get around to machining the new brake. 9000 ft/lbs of energy is not a problem and as mentioned, its almost impossible to heat the barrl up!!! I have put five rounds though mine as fast as I could physically handle, around 2 minutes spread and the barrel was barely warm to the touch. But again, recoil with the conventional brake, exciting to say the least!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-20-2007, 03:25 PM

This is the detail that i was looking for thanks for your time. 1st with the barrel Bill is using Krieger Barrel 1-12 tw's. Hope he knows what he is doing ???What do you thing i can have Bill change it. I want the best that is out their.I don't mind to send the $$ but i don't want to go back and re-do it. Bill is calling this 375 cal bas I don't know what hen is doing to the case. lost river is making me some Bullets @ $1.70 each I want to stick with the 375 cal for it is the next best thing for longer range. Got to go my wife is calling

A friend in Nebo Va
Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

i agree with Kirby, if you have any plans on shooting the LRB bullets,get the lawton barrel that he makes for them. i think they have 8 lands that are rather shallow but will also work with other bullets.there has been a couple other posts about this caliber and cartridge.a fellow called triggerfifty probably has more experience than anyone with this cartridge.you can do a search,there was quite a bit of discussion as i recall.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would not question Bill, hes been doing this for a while and knows his stuff!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-21-2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks for your in-put I talked to Barney Lawton yesterday and he is the man. He's going to ship the barrel out to Shehane Monday. Barney also told me that Sierra has some of this barrels testing their new mk 375 cal 350 gr bullets and should be running production bullets very soon.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:28 PM

1 more ting can you help me with brass I'm looking Arco , ID
e-mail,link tel #