Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

CED Millennium Chronograph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

CED Millennium Chronograph

So I have waited ages to get my mits on a chronograph and finally got hold of a CED mil!
I packed my kit and headed down to my shooting ground on a local farm.
I have been wanting to test some of my loads out to make my drop charts accurate etc.
First round and Qed ready and lined up , nothing , no reading.
All rounds fired the same!
Weather:- sunny at about 5pm.
Try connections still nothing.

Back home next day I tried my air rifle through it in the garden .I find if I shoot low I can get a reading regularly prob 80% of the time if kept low.

Weather :- sunny 2pm

Today back to the field with .22 rimfire (for test shots)and .243 .
Weather :- cloudy 5Pm

Set up, nothing until about a dozen .22 later when I am trying to keep low and I shoot the front screen just in the top of the sensor!

Guess what I get a reading, just the one though!
The lens is blown out and the casing shattered.

Is it just me and the weather or do you think I should be able to get readings easier like half way up the screen?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: CED Millennium Chronograph

Spoke to the importers in the UK today they straight away said it was probably lighting conditions to blame.
It is quite common for them not work due to sun etc and is probably not a faulty unit.
I now have an infra red upgrade kit and new sensor on the way!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Hi Jeza,
I have the same and have not tried it yet but i will be looking out for the problems you mentioned.

Our friend and fellow member Brit bought one the same time as me and he has had no trouble with his when shooting up at Minsterly.
He also did a comparison with a pact chrono, which another one of our buddies has, with favoufable results.

The only problem he had was with my reccomendation of tripod, the mounting system was not secure enough and it blew about in the wind, so i am in his black books for that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ( fortunately i can exchange mine because it is unopened [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

PS, did you get yours from SGC, i did and i am still waiting for my custom carry case.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Jeza,
I have taken mine out four times already and there has been only once (one shot) that it did not read it. I usualy put my scope line about an inch or so above the center of the screens. Also, if the ground reflects a lot of light all chronographs will not read properly, like snow reflecting light into the bullet and many other conditions that will affect all chronographs. Make sure when you mount it on the tripod, one end of the chronograp will fold up and down, that end that does that should be away from the shooter and conected into the "STOP" hole, make sure the sensors are clean and do not have any lints or dirt, I use "Dust-OFF".
Usually when I use it, I take my son's 22 pistol and fire some rounds through it to insure proper functioning before I shoot any of my hand loads. Pellet gun works!
As I have posted before, I'm very happy with mine and do enjoy it a lot.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Jeza,

we also have a Mil CED and suffer from the same intermittent reading problems. It doesn't seem to matter what the light conditions are, our chrony will not register consistantly, it either works fine, or not at all. Iv'e tried it in bright overhead sun, get 0000 reading, early morning dull conditions and early evening with similar results. My mate and I have calibres from .224 to .300, there doesn't seem to be any difference with what sized pill passes through the screens, it doesn't register. In the info they provide, it mentions that muzzle blast could be a cause for no readings, well Iv'e moved the screens as far away from the muzzle as possible and still no difference. You may get the feeling, I am less than chuffed? The one saving grace of our CED was that it was given by someone who had it from new and it aparantly never worked properly despite being returned to the maker to be given a clean bill of health. At present I am considering a Chrony or, if I can get export one, an Ohler. No I wouldn't have another CED given! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 03:45 PM
SPONSOR

I've got the CED w/the infrared lights and have had no trouble w/it as long as I had the infrared is on. We did have some trouble getting readings w/out the infrared. All in all I would say I was fairly happy though.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Oehler 35 , 4 ft. screen spacing

Jim