Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Carbon fiber stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Carbon fiber stocks

Anybody know how to build them? I can't find anything from google, and I would like to learn how to do this.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Carbon fiber stocks

Yep, I have made 6 now. Essentially they are the same as making a fibreglass stock. You won't find much on the net about them but it is just fibreglassing.
Read up all you can about how to make a two piece mold off a plug.
There is lots out there about using carbon fibre you just have to adapt it to rifle stocks.
I make a two piece mold off the stock. 4 layers of 6oz carbon fibre with west Systems 105/207, put 3-4 extra layers through the pistol grip area, then put it in a vacuum storage bag and suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner. join the two halves together once it is set (next day).
I make a cast of the action area of the original stock using a silicon modelling resin Wacker 4670. Put the cast in the stock and pour thickened resin around it, watch out it will get really, really hot if you pour too much in at once.
Once the halves are stuck together i glue in the swivel studs and then fill the butt and forearm with expanding polyurethane foam.
I make a fibreglass cast of the barrel channel and then lay several pieces of carbon fibre on it and put it into the stock.
Then tidy up all the areas where the resin and fibre didn't quite stick properly.
Then shape up the recoil pad and glue on using thickened resin.
It takes me about 6 weeks from go to whoa to do a stock.

Flick me a PM if you want.

Stu.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Any further information that you are willing to share on this subject? I am specifically trying to find out how many layers of CF are needed to withstand recoil force w/.308 bolt action. I am not trying to make a stock that has the same shape and dimensions as traditional stocks do so I need to know what a minimum, "safe" thickness is.
Thanks for any and all input.
Matt
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Gold Member

I use 4 layers of 6oz/200g carbon fibre and put 3 extra layers (7 total) through the pistol grip area.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Are you also using CF for the bedding and for sole support of pillars?
From what you write it sounds like the there is very little total thickness required to provide the strength that is needed. That in turn really opens up what can be done with "radical" design of the rifle stock, which is what I am researching. Am I interpreting what you wrote correctly?
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

The action area is epoxy thickened with West Systems 403 micrfibre. I tend to use 1 tablespoon of microfibre for every 20g of resin used.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Thanks. Can you also give me a general idea of the actual thickness of the thickest portion of CF that you recommend? Also, what about other areas of the stock such as the butt, handguard, etc? That helps me with design in terms of the minimum thickness dimensions that are required.
BTW, I've read elsewhere that people are for some reason advising against bedding the action with CF, although none give a reason for that so I have been assuming it is just a matter or preference or "this is the way we always do it" type mentality. Have you encountered any empirical data relating to the pros and cons of the type of CF bedding you mention?
Thanks.