Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Caldwell Lead Sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Caldwell Lead Sled

Hi All,
Does anyone have the Caldwell Lead Slead (not the Plus model)?

If so can you tell me what the dimensions are for the tray. I ordered this model (not in yet) instead of the Lead Sled Plus and my whole purpose is to use this with my barbell weights. I am not sure if the regular Lead Sled will hold my 25 lb weights? :(

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Caldwell Lead Sled

I have one, I'll have to measure it tonight but guessing 12" x 12"
I bought the bags (2) and filled them 3/4" steel balls
Works great on the 338 RUM
Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Hi Conn338RUM
Thanks. I will look for your answer tonight. My 25 lb weights are about 12.5 inches. This might be close. I should receive my sled either tomorrow or the next day. If it is only that little of a difference, I might be able to flatten one of the curved sides and rebend giving it just an adiitonal 1/2 inch or so. As soon as it comes in I take it to the range so I was anxious about knowing the dimensions. Thanks for your time.

So do your bags weigh about 25 lbs each? The 338RUM kicks more than a 338 WM. Do you have a brake on the muzzle as well? I want to use at least 50 pounds on the sled and having the barbell weights, that saved me a few dollars. I just got laid off so every little dollar saved is a good thing.

Thanks Again
Appreciate it
Steve
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

9" x 12" and about 2.75" deep so your barbell weights might be a problem may have to modify
My bags with the steel balls are 20 lbs each, more than enough to tame the 338 rum. The sled moves but recoil is very light shoot as much as I want too.
No brake on the gun
See if any one you know has some old scuba dive weights they will work

Last edited by conn338rum; 01-25-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Super and good thought though dont know too many suba divers in Colorado Springs. If not, I have already thought about flattening one rolled lip and attaching 2 lite L brackets at a slight horizontal angle to extend the back so that the weights have something to hold them in place. I will post my solution if I have to modify the tray.

Thanks again
Steve
Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

Other option is make your own tray and save the stock for the bags
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesdl View Post
Hi All,
Does anyone have the Caldwell Lead Slead (not the Plus model)?

If so can you tell me what the dimensions are for the tray. I ordered this model (not in yet) instead of the Lead Sled Plus and my whole purpose is to use this with my barbell weights. I am not sure if the regular Lead Sled will hold my 25 lb weights? :(

Thanks
Steve
Steve I have one and don't recomend using weights or sand bags in the tray because it
makes it hard on the stock.

I have heard of people breaking there stocks buy placeing 40 or 50 pounds of weight in
the tray.

Rifles should recoil some and if you restrain them to much it can damage or brake the stock.

It makes a good shooting platform and buy it's self reduces recoil buy almost 50% .

I carpeted the tray on mine and use it for scope caps , Bolts when cleaning and any other
stuff that I don't want to place on the shooting bench.

Also when I test fire a new rifle I prefer not to restrain the rifle to much especially with a
"BLUE PILL" proof Test load and I just lash/tie the rifle down, use a remote system to fire it
and let it recoil on its own.

I shoot lots of big bores 416s + with out breaks and the lead sled works good just like it is.

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM