Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bushnell Compact 800 LRF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2001, 04:32 PM

Re: Bushnell Compact 800 LRF

Thanks, p dog shooter! That's the kind of reliable information I was asking for. I've used a friend's Leitz Geovid, and probably will again, but had no idea how well I could rely on what it was telling me.

BTW, my son is a surveyor. It's my understanding that in the "total stations" they use (instead of the optical transits we old coots used to use) infrared rays have replaced lasers. I've discussed accuracy with his boss, and I don't buy the idea that those devices are more accurate than a chain (actually a steel tape) used properly and skillfully by an old-time surveyor. I've seen errors of closure that were too small to go along with that notion. Proper use of the chain requires several special techniques to allow for slope, air temperature, etc. You don't just lay it on the ground and read the nearest tick mark.

Also, surveyors use instruments a heck of a lot more precisely made than a laser range-finder, and they use a special reflector for their readings not just whatever cactus, rock, or prairie-dog mound offers itself.

[ 05-12-2001: Message edited by: Ken Howell ]
Old 05-12-2001, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

KEN I know what suyeryors used My dad was one for 40 some years and I ran a lot of chain and cut alot of line. But for general feild use a laser range finder is hard to beat.
Old 05-15-2001, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

If anyone is interested, I have a new, in the box, Bushnell 1000 that I took out, put a battery in, fired it 10 times to make sure it worked and put it back in the box.
I had bought two of them for some friends and the one fellow backed out.
All paperwork and accessories are there. I'll even throw in the battery.
$285.00 plus shipping.
Let me know if your interested.

Darryl Cassel
330-644-0898
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2001, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Repeatability has been the most important thing to me because my shooting range and drop charts are based on my specific LRF. Now that you mention it though, I`m going to measure it off with a tape because I`ve been having problems with my LR rifle past 400yds following chart off of a computer program, the bullets are dropping more than they should be only at 500yds plus. I will check it out and let you know.

The repeatability has always been astonishingly exact. My YP1000 is good to 800yds with very little effort, even lased through the mirror in the truck while driveing away from the target.

I used a friends YP compact 800 and couldn`t get a reading past 250yds. It also seemed to start a timer when the fire button was pushed while you waited to see if it was going to eventually read the target. It was very frustrating to say the least, worthless in my book. It very well could have been defective though. What are your thoughts on this.

The YP 1000 has a target quality bar meeter and is the cats meow for ranging in the field, you definatly learn that certain object offer much greater potential for aquisition at longer ranges, such as white birch trees trunks, certain yellow leafy branches, deadfalls and sometimes the unlikly spruce tree or moose itself.

The YP 800 gave no indication of weather or not you may get a reading at what you are laseing, that and they don`t have a scan mode I believe.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Brent

I know what you mean about the timer thing, I don't know what it is but it sounds like a small fan running. The Compact 800 will automatically go into scan mode after a few second in the standard acquisition mode.

It could be that your particular LRF is bad/below normal quality or mine is exceptionally good. I can routinely get reading to 900 yards and beyond on sunny days providing I hold the unit still.

One thing I recently saw an operator do was to stick his finger in front of the lense inadvertently when ranging... this really degraded his reading performance.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Dave

does the timer thing disapear when it enters the scan mode? How long does it take with yours to get a reading at around 500yds? Is it almost instant like my YP1000? Is the scan mode in "real time" so to speak, meaning changes instantly as it passes another object etc. like the YP1000?

Got to love em, just wish mine fit in the shirt pocket, but the coat pocket works.
Old 06-15-2001, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

The 'timer thing' noise seems to continue all the time the unit is ranging. The scan mode is real-time and yardages change as the LRF is trained on different objects or as the ranged object moves. I get readings back almost instantly on good quality targets, for very distant targets I have a short wait.