Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Burris Extreme Rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Burris Extreme Rings

What is your opinion of the Burris Extreme rings? I have converted several rifles over to them, and, the rifles don't seem to be as accurate as they were. I have not switched rings on them to see if the Burris rings could be the problem.

They are light, and look strong and seem to lock down on the rail like they should.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Burris Extreme Rings

A few years ago I bought a rifle with a picatinny rail and decided on Burris Extreme Tactical rings. I have been so impressed with them I now have them on several rifles. I think they are great but some do not like them. I like the six screws per ring and they seem to stay locked on the bases also. Nightforce and other companies make better rings but the XTR's are a great value for the money. I have had no complaints with the XTR rings or bases.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have them on several rifles and no problems, I do prefer the slimer Seekens, but 2x $
Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

I started using XTR's several years ago & still recommend them to shooters starting out. Are there better rings? Yes there are, but I don't think there is anything wrong with them either.

The XTR's are a great starting place.

You mentioned something about possible accuracy issues after installing your rings.

XTR's are a directional ring, as they are meant to be installed in one direction only. That could be a possible issue.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I started using XTR's several years ago & still recommend them to shooters starting out. Are there better rings? Yes there are, but I don't think there is anything wrong with them either.

The XTR's are a great starting place.

You mentioned something about possible accuracy issues after installing your rings.

XTR's are a directional ring, as they are meant to be installed in one direction only. That could be a possible issue.
Did not see that anywhere on the instructions. So what direction are they supposed to be mounted? With the nut to the left or right?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

IIRC it isn't in the instructions for some kooky reason, I installed my first pair backwards as well, the cross bolt of your XTR rings is milled with a flat on one side & is round on the other. Nut goes on the left side, slot facing forward to interface correctly with your picatinny rail. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Burris Extreme Rings-xtr-cross-bolt.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM

I am sure it will! Thanks, and that may very wll be my problem. I am thinking I mounted them with the nuts on the right side.