Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Brownells + Surgeon Action = Rusty parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Brownells + Surgeon Action = Rusty parts

I wanted to relay an experience I'm in the middle of in case it helps anyone else make a more informed decision.

I'm in the process of acquiring parts for a rifle build. I don't know caliber, stock, etc yet, but I knew I wanted to use a Surgeon action. Brownells had the best price on them and I've had great service from Brownells before, so I ordered one. It arrived at my FFL a few days later - so far so good. I looked it over quickly, filled out the form and took it back home and started opening it up fully. What I found made me sick to my stomach.

The bolt knob was speckled in surface rust as well as this part of the bolt plug:

Everything else was fine, luckily, especially the serial numbered part. I called Brownells who said I could return it for a full refund. Well great, but I want the action and I don't want to deal with shipping again and another FFL transfer, etc. I asked them to replace just the rusty parts, but they don't stock Surgeon parts. They said to call Surgeon directly. I was annoyed that they couldn't make it right, but I called Surgeon anyway.

I talked to Steven who said they've had five actions sold by Brownells showing up with rust. He said Brownells opens the packages to inspect them, then doesn't repackage them properly to prevent rusting in storage. He said to send it to them and they'd fix it. I don't know if they'll polish or just replace the parts. I think it'd be easier for them just to replace them.

So... Surgeon will make it right, and I'll still come out ahead financially, but it won't be without some pain in the process. I'm not sure if what I saved is worth it or not.

Last edited by NomadPilot; 10-24-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Brownells + Surgeon Action = Rusty parts

There's no finish on those parts, and in the process of building a rifle those parts will be bead-blasted and finished. I have a couple Surgeon actions at home in the bags, and they will RUST IN A HEARTBEAT. I wouldn't be too bent out of shape about it. Build the rifle, bead blast all parts, and ceracoat or duracoat the action and whatever else you want finished and be done with it.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

I can understand your frustration . Not to hijack but do you know what a surgeon long action would cost for an edge?

Bigbuck
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalm View Post
There's no finish on those parts, and in the process of building a rifle those parts will be bead-blasted and finished. I have a couple Surgeon actions at home in the bags, and they will RUST IN A HEARTBEAT.
I understand the lack of coating - that's why I sprayed Eezox on the parts when I got them. That should keep them in good shape until I can decide on the rest of the build. I at least wanted to start with parts in good shape.

Quote:
do you know what a surgeon long action would cost for an edge?
I don't - I'm guessing $1600+, but I think the XL model comes with bottom metal and mag, which makes the price not that much more than the short action repeater. Single shots are of course a little less.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Fretful, yes. But no damage done. The blasting and finish will take care of it.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I can understand your frustration . Not to hijack but do you know what a surgeon long action would cost for an edge?

Bigbuck
A Surgeon RLR will work great for an edge and retails for $816.
It's their remmy clone with one pc bolt m-16 extractor and pinned lug.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have ordered two XL receivers directly from Surgeon and both had parts that had some surface rust on them and they were all in sealed packages.....

None of the rusting was severe and when bead blasted, you could not even tell where it had been so nothing more they very minor surface rust with no penetration into the steel in any way.

I think your seeing something that is much more common then many would expect. My only question, why does surgeon use chrome moly receivers and ship them in the white. Stainless would be much better all around, no rust, no NEED to finish or coat if not wanted either.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com