Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bors ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Bronze Member

Bors ??

Hi to all

Does anyone use the barrett optical ranging system, and what are your thoughts on the system? Got the nightforce software in mind but a firend mentioned the bors system to me so just having a look into it.

Thanks
sniperboy
Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bors ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperboy View Post
Hi to all

Does anyone use the barrett optical ranging system, and what are your thoughts on the system? Got the nightforce software in mind but a firend mentioned the bors system to me so just having a look into it.

Thanks
sniperboy
I am also looking into it for my 50 BMG and would like to hear some comments also.

It can be used on other rifles with the proper setup and up to 100 different balistics
programs.

Cost is high but I think it would be worth it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-09-2010, 08:44 AM
SPONSOR

Saw one a couple months a go, and it was difficult for the owner to figure out how to use it correctly, by the end of the hour, he was ready to sell it and just use a scope-Less hassle, less weight, ad less technology to go down in the field.
I did not use it myself, but I watched his frustration.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

It definitely an awesome looking unit.

two cons-

1- battery life is 30 hours, meaning it has to be reconfigured everytime the battery dies

2- doesn't look durable to handle some weather and abuse from horses and quads.

One other thing which sucks for most wanna be long range shooters is that most of them are computer illerate and I can imagine it would be difficult for some to use this unit. Well, ernie post already supports it.

Pro

-when configured, its should be absolutely dead on!!!

Just turn the dial with scope in place and shoot! It was advertised to compensate air density, temperature and angles!

good luck

-never had the unit in my hand, just looked into for other wanna be long range shooters.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperboy View Post
Hi to all

Thanks
sniperboy
Get yourself a Kestrel and use it with your exbal and a dell axium (used on ebay for about 65 bucks).

The kestrel will give you all the data you need for the Xbal and then some. You also get wind info with the kestrel, if you are a new shooter, this is very valuable as it teaches you how to read wind. The kestrel is cheap enough, it won't break your bank if it ever fails, although I have never talked to anyone who had a kestrel go bad.

I think new shooters need to learn the basics (old school first) before they jump into a unit like the bors, I also don't like a single point of failure on any piece of equipment.

If I remember right, the bors does not allow for single digit pressures. Let me tell you, if this is the case, you are toast when you get out there at long ranges. All elements are critical at long ranges (altitude, pressure, humidity & temp), but of all them, Pressure will eat your lunch if you are not on the money.

Zman
Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Looks interesting yes expensive will work on several makes of optics look here for Barrett info.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

I use one on my 98B 338 Lapua mounted on a nightforce 8x32x56 and have used it on a 416 as well and can tell you they work. The great thing is that when you develop your load you just input the data into the software program, save it, upload and done. Custom hand load = custom program based on your load data.
Once you call up the saved library on the bors you zero your rifle at 100yds and hit confirm again doneÖ
The battery is about 30hrs but changing a battery does not loose your program or setting. No problems yet but Iím always carful to return my turret to 100yds when done so at worst case all I would have to do to reset would be to turn it on and as Iím already set at my 100yd zero I could just hit confirm and Iím up and running.
All in all I donít regret buying mine and would do it again in a pinch. The software is easy to use; you just have to play with itÖ One note is that once you save a custom load you loose all the loads that were on there from the factory but to me it was no big deal as I want only my loads with my confirmed data on it.
Hope this helpsÖ