Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Boretech or KG bore solvents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: Boretech or KG bore solvents

I use BoreTech Eliminator.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

The 2 best (and most expensive accessories I own) are the Bench Source annealer and the Hawkeye Bore scope.

Nothing beats being able to actually look inside the mysterious tunnel that goes from the chamber to the crown.......
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have used a bunch of the "best" solvents including KG. Bore Tech removed more copper when they were done.

I have not tried C4 yet. I start by pushing wet patches of Eliminator through the bore until they start getting light colored. Then I push a brush through and pull it back just inside the muzzle, stand the rifle up on it's butt, then drop a few drops (liberally) down over the brush and into the bore. Then stroke it a few times. Then let it sit about 20 min or so. Then wet patch it out and repeat the cycle. I use Eliminator until I dont see any more carbon traces, then I switch to CU+2.

The reason I start with Eliminator is because carbon and copper are laid down in layers each time you shoot and Eliminator removes both. When I start seeing blue patches only, I switch to CU+2.

You can not use bronze/brass jags and brushes because the Boretech will start eating them immediately and cause a false copper indication.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

Thanks everyone, good info.

Montanarifleman, I like your technique, I ve never heard that before. What kind of jags to you use?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I use Boretech C4 for carbon and boretech Cu+2 for copper. I would imagine that the Cu+2 would be enough for carbon and copper because all of my guns were clean of carbon and copper after just cleaning with it.
+1, also, if you are doing break in, use eliminator, i just broke in a barrel using C4 and CU+2 and it took a while because i had to let two different solvent do their work, eliminator would have been much faster.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Thanks everyone, good info.

Montanarifleman, I like your technique, I ve never heard that before. What kind of jags to you use?
Currently I am using nickel platted jags but they wear and expose the brass. I will be switching to Boretech proof positive jags. Another thing I do is put my BTE and CU+2 into little 1 oz eye drop bottles which makes it much easier to use and dispense. The Boretech bottles drip all over.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

Looks like ill be placing a food order with boretech. Good info on the jags too. Thanks again