Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bore Tech Eliminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bore Tech Eliminator

Wipeout is indeed good but not if you need to clean at the range quick. 50 bmg is good too but must be used outside lest ye lose your wallpaper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Coppermelt and Eliminator don't have those problems. But what the heck do I know, I just clean guns for a living. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wipeout is indeed good but not if you need to clean at the range quick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah-Men to that. Those who say you can use it in the field are obviously BR types not in touch with LR reality. (ie, they don't have muzzle breaks as the BR text book world reject them).
[ QUOTE ]

50 bmg is good too but must be used outside lest ye lose your wallpaper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. For example I have two high speed volume fans (sealed) to the windows on the west side of my loading room blowing fresh air in, and two high capacity fans on the west side blowing out (again sealed to force the air thru the room). I get a nice 15 MPH wind blowing thru and the fumes don't bother me.

Being a journeyman painter, I also have high end respirators should I choose to not use the fans and empty my house at the same time. Next time your boring neighbors drop by to borrow some tool, just open up a bottle of Montana X-treme's 50 BMG and you've killed two stoned neighbors with one jar.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Two and 1/2 years later what are you guys now using? Is Bore Tech Eliminator still top dog or has anyone found another product(s) that they prefer?

Three products I continue to read about with generally good feedback are Bore Tech Eliminator, KG Products, and Warthog. Anyone used all of these yet? Or two of them. How do they compare?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

I have used bore tech for the last year and am very happy with it. I won't put another ammonia based cleaner in my barrels.

When I brake in new custom barrels I push one patch thru every 10-15 minutes giving it a little time to work. Goes somthing like this, 1st shot 7-8 patches, (no brushes). 2nd shot 5-6 patches, 3rd shot 3-4 patches. shoot 10-20 rounds 3-4 patches. It does take out some of the carbon fouling.

After about every 300-500 rounds (depending on cartrige) I use 2 patches of Iosso with about 4 strokes and any residual carbon is gone.

I do bore scope the many guns I clean and the stuff works great and dosen't give you a buzz.

Some people believe the heavy ammonia based cleaners can etch the bore and open pores that will cause more fouling. Weather true or not I find that the rifles I use eliminator in, foul minimally and some get shot 50-100 times between cleanings and still clean up with just a few patches. If your lazy run 2 consecutive patches thru the bore and let it sit over night in the am do one more patch. Unless you have a copper mine in there you should be done.

You guys that like 50 bmg, I have a half dozen bottles on the shelf, You can have them all shipped conus for 36 bucks.

Last edited by Coyboy; 09-06-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Wipeout, Patchout and 50 BMG.

BH
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
brassprep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinok View Post
For fast cleaning sessions, that 50-BMG is awesome. Ive got a whole lot of cleaning solvents collecting duts because of that stuff. Sweets, CR-10, coppermelt (not technically gathering dust... went to another shooter), Boretech elliminator, hoppes BR copper solvent, Shooters choice, proshot3, and 4 copper solvents... and probably another one or two that ive forgot. Wipeout (with accelerator) and 50-bmg is all that see the light of day when its time to tackle copper fouling these days.
New to this board, first post! I too have a large collection of bore cleaners "gathering dust", a few years ago I did a test, not in a barrel, but on the bench. I took 8-10 30 cal bullets, placed each on on a white coffee filter and put one drop of each of my miracle cleaners on each bullet (labeled each), and then let set over night. It became very obvious which cleaners take care of copper and which do not. This semi-scientific test was a bit of an eye opener. It did not test carbon, or other bi-products just the copper jacket. Give it a try you'll be surprised.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassprep View Post
New to this board, first post! I too have a large collection of bore cleaners "gathering dust", a few years ago I did a test, not in a barrel, but on the bench. I took 8-10 30 cal bullets, placed each on on a white coffee filter and put one drop of each of my miracle cleaners on each bullet (labeled each), and then let set over night. It became very obvious which cleaners take care of copper and which do not. This semi-scientific test was a bit of an eye opener. It did not test carbon, or other bi-products just the copper jacket. Give it a try you'll be surprised.

That a good Idea! Would you mind sharing your findings and what products you tested?