Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Boone and Crocket reticle range test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Boone and Crocket reticle range test.

This is a great discussion, and a topic that's practically taken over my life for the last several years.

Couple months ago, my shooting partner XPHunter (posts here sometimes), and i went to the ITRC in Gillette, WY competing against the military and police sniper guys in this popular sniper style event. While on the line checking zeros with our XP pistols, one of the guys on the team next to us was kneeling next to his NXS-equipped rig doing some calculating on a PDA. I asked him if he was using Exbal, and he sure enuf was. I knew we were in trouble then, and as it turns out those guys took second place.

Manipulating scope reticles, magnification and turrets for downrange zeroing/ranging has got to be the most fascinating shooting i've ever done hands down. Once i was subjected to it i went home and started calculating reticle subtensions for ranging with ratio and proportion formulas, etc., and checking the calcs out the front window of my house on various sized sign posts at various ranges-- loved it!!! There was just 1 problem-- i neede to have something to measure reticle subtensions. Then one day i was riding my bike and stopped at a stop sign. I glanced at the sign's post, and there it was. Holes drilled in it at exactly 1" intervals all along it. I rode home and noticed a sign at about 100 yds. from my house (102 lasered actually), and finally had something i could measure reticles with. After that all my hunting buddies were in trouble-- i was establishing downrange zeros with magnification changes for all their plex-equipped scopes, using a combination of Exbal's calcs, and mine-- it was absolutely fascinating, and quite successful most of the time. Then it was on to manipulating std. ballistics programs to see what kind of info. i could extract from them for establishing downrange zeros/ranging. This stuff is a lot like reloading is to factory loads-- sure u can get by with factory stuff, but reloading opens up a whole new world to the shooter, just like becoming a student of optics and ballistic programs does. Sorry i got a little carried away here, but it sure is a neat business we're into.

I with most of the others here. I like ballistic reticles, until trajectory gets too steep, then it's onto clicks. One thing i've learned tho about ballistic reticles-- after awhile u sort of learn to visualize the trajectory between stadia (to a point), which makes connecting at in between ranges not too difficult at all really. I use the longest zero stadia for a comeup zero reference for additional clicks which also often eliminates the need for 30 mm tubes.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Bronze Member

You can also use a good ballitics program to dertimine the yardages to which each hold-over point corresponds under a different set of conditions and put that info on a sketch of the reticle inside the scope cover.

Rick
Old 09-28-2004, 12:21 PM

After watching the long range hunting dvd; shooting Elk, Coyotes, etc., dialing with a good scope is indeed accurate! One thing that I have run into, when speaking of the recticle test, is a lot of folks are scared to adjust their scope; unless they just have to. It continues to amaze me; that some folks are afraid to make adjustments, because they are afraid they will put their scope out of alignment, and not be able to realign it by themselves! Questions is, "How do you go about convincing these folks that they can?"
Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

sscoyote,
Not to change the subject, but I noticed that you were from Pueblo, CO. Can you answer my post on the "General Discussion" board?
--goodgrouper
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Got u GG.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Notoofar, At about what power is the large and small triangle setting marks at? Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

"How do you go about convincing these folks that they can?"

get them into a nightforce or leupold target scope and show them that they do in fact track... you just have to have a little faith in your equipment.. faith comes with practice!!! doesnt matter what you use for long range shooting... as long as you know that everyday is a new set of conditions!
Brien

p.s. i have been using clicks for 2 summers now... but i also thought i would like the boone and crocket reticle on my light carry rifle so i bought one.. on my long range stuff i like a clean reticle.. and clicks! lol great discusion though