Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

A bolt ss boss or sendero sf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: A bolt ss boss or sendero sf

Thread Hijack Alert!
Christopher. If you dislike BOSS so much, contact Kevin Knight at High Performance Gunsmiths. I believe he once told me he could easily make a threaded protector cap that would go over BOSS.
Hijacking over.

Original post.
I believe you have to look at the rest of your arsenal to make a decision. The Sendero is obviously going to the be better long range rifle and more consistent performer. If however you don't have a larger rifle and it is going to serve more than just the long range role then a lighter weight rifle can be considered.
Based on my arsenal it would hands down be the Sendero.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanks quiethunter, the boss is too loud for the 3006. The recoil from that gun is way too small to need it. I appreciate the info. I think that I would definitely go with the sendero.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Just to clarify -

The BOSS is just the barrel weight that attempts to tune a factory load to the barrel just like a hand loader attempts to do.

The muzzle brake is what makes the gun loud. But the benefit is reduced recoil. Trade offs! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Everyone I have talked to says that they only use the CR on BOSS equipped rifles.

I have decided on the sendero [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]
Old 04-02-2004, 01:30 AM

I have both and each has their strengths and weaknesses. The bolt in the A-Bolt is oustanding, the stock is the worst, BOSS- big deal. On the Sendero the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired but it's real strength is you can get any type of aftermarket component for it - want a tactical stock, no problem. Want a picatinny rail for the remington, no problem. Try to get one of those for the Browning and it's like pulling teeth.

Sometimes I think I should have got a Sako, I hear nothing but good about those.

JK
Old 04-26-2004, 03:31 PM

I have handled both, and shot both, the A-Bolt, and the Sendero. If you are looking for Accuracy, the Sendero gets the Nod HANDSDOWN!! But, if you need a light, hunting rifle you can carry around, the A-Bolt, is nice. But,i would not let 1-2 pounds make your decision for you. When it came to grouping, the A-Bolt, can't hold a candle to the Sendero. My best group with my Sendero 300WM was .3 the best i could get with the a bolt was right around .7. Both are good, I just prefer the Sendero in my safe.