Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bolt lug lapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2004, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

Bolt lug lapping

Would someone share with me, the correct way to lap the lugs on a 700 Rem.??

New rifle, and it seems to be tighter than anyother I have owned.

TIA...sakofan..
Old 06-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Bolt lug lapping

I used lapping compound on the back side of the lugs, insert the bolt back in the rifle and worked the handle up and down til I got 80% contact. Doesn't take long and you don't want to do to much since it will increase your headspace. You normally only need to lap about .0005" to .0008" to get this so it won't get dangerous. You can check this easily by taking a marker(poor mans Dykem) to the back of the lugs and working the bolt handle up and down the same way as lapping. Now just check and see how much ink is left.

Rinse the area of lapping compound well with brake cleaner and clean and swab the bore afterwards.

Ronnie
Old 06-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Sakofan, I wouldn't be concerned about the action being tight in fact I would be rather happy! I watched the video called the ultimate sniper the fellow doing the instruction and narating actualy showed a Military sniper rifle and commented as he worked the action that these rifles have a tight action as compared to a standard hunting rifle. Good Luck with the new rifle! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

Thanks guys. Just seems a little tighter than my beloved Sako.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Test it out tomorrow. Scope came in. Rings, finally. Sent the first set back. Standard anything and US Optics scopes dont go hand in hand. Hope she shoots well!!..sakofan..Thanks for your posts!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Bronze Member

If you lap your own lugs, do remove the firing pin assembly...then make sure you flush the piss out of the inside of the bolt afterward..

JR
Old 06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Can I use Rem. bore cleaner instead of lapping compound?? It's all I have handy right now...sakofan..
Old 06-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

Realy you should remove the barrel, screw in the bolt lapping tool then smear the rear of the bolt lugs, or front of the action lugs with lapping paste( valve grinding paste will surfice). but as i suspect you don't have the means to remove the barrel or have a bolt lapping tool what i suggest you do is, remove the firing pin assy, drive out the pin that locates the ejector and remove the ejector, place a fired case into the chamber and begin lapping, after a few strokes of the bolt handel, remove the bolt and case, clean out the excess lapping compound, cut a brass shim to fit in the bolt face, masking tape will surfice, then put the thing back together again with a little more lapping paste on the lugs, work the bult up and down some more. clean the whole thing out, now get some engineers blue, coat the rear of the bolt lugs, close the bolt on the case and shim, then check out what you have achieved in contact area, if sattsifeid you can stop your lapping process there if not carry on. Its a good idea to try the engineers blue (permanent marker pen will also do) before you begin the lapping, this way you can see the improvement.
The idea is that rearward pressure from the case and shim (or from the spring loaded bolt lapping tool) cause the lugs to be lapped evenly and inline with the bore. If you just lapp with no rearward pressure the tendency is for the one lug to get more of a lapping than the other, due to thebolt handle bieng on the one side of the bolt.
you can't beat having the barrel off and the action worked over, then you know all is squared up.
Pete