Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

The A-Bolt Is Done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The A-Bolt Is Done

I'm currently using a PRI rail.

For a steel Picatinny now, I'd probably go with NEAR . For aluminum, US Optics .

If Picatinny isn't a requirement, the Ken Farrell stuff is nice.

All but the first will do custom work as well if you don't find exactly what he's looking for.

One thing to note, it seems the US Optics slots may be too narrow for Seekins rings, which I think I'm going to switch to fairly soon. I've found with this scope I'd like a base extended a bit farther forward so I might be totally changing the setup soon.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Will be waiting for the "After I walked for 2 hours to get to the animal I just shot" stories. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I hate to disappoint you, but it didn't quite take two hours.

I sort of like this one:

And finally one with my ugly mug included:

Unfortunately, he did suffer some post-shot horn shrinkage that whitetails often do. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] When I decided to drop the hammer the sun was glinting off his horns making him very hard to turn down. But I knew that would happen to some extent and had gotten in so much great hunting I was happy to finally tag a fairly respectable buck. I knew I was pushing my luck passing on as many as I already had.

Anyway, he was 473 yds away. Not "long range" to me these days but longer than I had shot one lately. As usual, I had my crosshairs on bucks from about 15 yds to 750 yds away and everywhere in between. Had the timing/conditions/horn size combination been right I would have dropped the hammer on any of them.

But this is the first year I would have been as confident at the long end as I was. That's where the project really pays off. To be able to show up in a different state, different temp, different humidity and 4000 ft elevation difference and simply plop onto my belly and start whacking the gong from 900 yds after cranking the scope for a quick zero check...that was great. I've never been more confident in myself or a rifle.

Thanks again to Kirby for building such a fine rifle.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

Nice buck; beautiful rifle! Good Shooting
Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice buck and beautiful rifle....

Its all worth it when you have almost total confidence in you and you system. That part was good to hear.

So far all I've killed is a bunch of your targets [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Jon A ,

I just bought a 7mm wsm browing for a good price ,they sure have a sweet action.Might have it tricked out someday.
That's a fine deer and you're a good shot w/a camera also ! Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on the deer Jon! The first of many with the new rig I'm sure [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if kirby still works on browning actions?

Real nice rile, makes me wanna customize mine