Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipods on hard surfaces?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 03:03 AM
Bronze Member

Bipods on hard surfaces?

What is the LRH consensus on bipods sitting on hard surfaces? Will using my bipod on the concrete range benches throw my shots off? If I go from concrete to something softer will my POI change?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bipods on hard surfaces?

Bipods on hard surfaces.... SUCK! I have actually completely given up on bipods. Always got inconsistent results with them. Part of that was surely my own fault as well as problems with flexing stock. The bigger reason is where I tend to hunt I never am in a position where a bipod is a viable option due to tall grass or more likely sage brush. In cases where I am shooting over rim rock I always have my pack with me which mimics the bag I shoot off from a bench. My bag and shooting sticks are much more useful to me in the field.

Do a search on Gunwerks Bipod Shooting. They have a YouTube video that talks a bit about this.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNDLDR View Post
What is the LRH consensus on bipods sitting on hard surfaces? Will using my bipod on the concrete range benches throw my shots off? If I go from concrete to something softer will my POI change?
My feelings on bipods are not so extreme. Mostly I like them but there are days when I can't stand them. Of course it's my fault but hey, blaming something or someone other than self is the American Way.

I use them in "tactical" competitions, load development, general practice and fun shooting.

Changing surfaces or not using the bipod can and probably will change the POI. Learn what happens and be prepared.

Something important that I was taught early and prove over and over when I don't do it. Load the bipod the same way every time, pressure forward or rearward but the same. I was taught and use pressure forward.

Real Harris is the bottom grade I'll use. I tried the cut rate bipods and fo ged aboud it. I have a Sinclair and like it but I think any new ones will be Harris.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Gold Member

I gave up on them because I don't want one of those "days when I can't stand them" to be the day I'm aiming at a big buck
Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 AM
Bronze Member

Glad I'm not the only one that has pretty much given up on them. I've never owned or used shooting sticks. What are some of your favorites?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

I have the old Stoney Point polecat tripod. Hard to beat your pack across a rock though.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNDLDR View Post
I personally do not have any problem with it. Once I'm satisfied on the bench I simply drop down to prone (my most likely shooting position on my hunt) and compare/practice and make any necessary adjustments as required.

My Harris bipod makes a stable platform from prone to sitting position; makes an excellent means to secure my rifle when at rest; and to prop your harvest for a photo op ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.