Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipod on a sloping surface

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Silver Member

Bipod on a sloping surface

Any thoughts as to whether using a bipod on a sloping surface eg. sloping truck hood has any effect on horizontal dispersion of groups ?
Having problems with horizontal when using my Sako .17 this way . Obviously I do adjust legs to avoid canting the rifle .
Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bipod on a sloping surface

I am of the strong opinion that a sloping uneven surface has a large affect on point of impact.

Whether using shooting sticks or bipod a steep slant on the bipod or sticks will result in what I call 'unexplainable misses'.

The only shooting position I could attain for the one shot I got during last years elk season was one where one bipod leg was nearly straight down and the other was almost at 90 degrees. Everything was solid though my body position was a little awkward the result was an "unexplainable miss." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 05:35 AM
Silver Member

Tried same loads on a flat surface and made no difference .
Old 03-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

That was a good test. You can eliminate the bipod from the equation. There's a bit of a difference between a .17 and a 338 RUM [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

How much horizontal spread are you talking about?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

I believe that canting the rifle is one of the biggest problems with long range shooting. I am looking for a level bubble that can be mounted on a scope to use in these situations to level the rifle. If anyone knows of one please let me know. I would also reccomend using a bipod with a swivle.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Goto page 105 of the latest Sinclair Catalog (800-717-82111 or www.sinclairintl.com) and take your pick. The tall one (Scopelevel is the most popular around here) or,

Take a taller rear Leupold type ring, a drill bit of the proper size and a cheap spirit level (remove bubble part) and make your own.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, Thanks for the advice, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I used an old over/under scope mount and drilled it for a bubble. will have to try it out soon.