Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipod or shooting sticks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Re: Bipod or shooting sticks?

Aldon- I'm interested to know how the snipepod worked for you on your hunt?

Both my father and my uncle have used the snipepod for years with great success. The terrain we hunt is often not conducive to shooting prone so the sitting model seems to work well. I currently use a pair of Stoney point shooting sticks and it seems when we all are hurrying to get set up for a shot, inevitably my father and uncle will be on target long before I am through futzing around with my sticks. My hangup with the Harris has always been the weight and it seems the snipepod gives 90%-95% of the stability of the harris for a fraction of the weight penalty.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the person who manufactures these is an acquaintance of my father but none of us (except the guy who builds them) benefits if any of you buy a pair. So take my comments for what you think they're worth.

Personally, I like the product because of the versatility and light weight. I do think they are a bit on the spendy side for what you get though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
I just purchased a Snipepod and it shipped same day. I should have it in less than a week worst case.

I am heading out east to hunt and am only a coupel of months recovered from Knee and hip Surgury so kneeling and Prone position while doable, is less than ideal. Pain and slowness of movement leave me believing I will likely be sitting or standing.

I like the concept a lot and if they are as good as they appear to be, I will be very pleased.

I like that you can use the standing version as a bipod, in essence having my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again for the heads up on these 300saum.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on snipepod, had mine 3 years, 6oz. great for hiking, road type prefer harris type.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Harris bi-pods tried outers once they s---.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Harris bi-pod BR 6-9" with notches.

Last edited by Chas1; 12-29-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: no email notification
Old 12-29-2009, 05:52 PM

I have both Stoney Point Steady Stix and Snipepod for sitting position shots when hunting in tall grass. Both work well. The Snipepod when attached to the rifle is quicker than Steady sticks to bring into position. I carry the steady stix for when I have a bipod already attached and may need to take a sitting shot.

For prone shots I opted for the cheaper Cadwell 9-13" which will swivel and cant. It works well. I also have a Sinclair F-Class bipod which I have used in the field successfully for sniping at rabbits. It is ungainly to carry but I use this if my son is using the Cadwell and the walking is restricted to about a mile as a sling cannot be attached.

ETR
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Hi I'm new here, also a new coyote hunter. Have a Bushmaster w/versi-pod and like it very much. Is a litle heavy but worth the xtra wheaties it takes to pack it. folds front or back when mounted and detatches easily when not needed. Use shootin sticks when the bp ain't enough to get me over high grass or brush. Just another option. Also have a Howa 1500 with a harris 9-12 bp on it. don't like it as much as the versi-pod but is paid for and works fine.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

I'm new as well and only have a couple of seasons experience with a rifle. So far I haven't tried any type bipod. Seems like it would be a lot of extra weight. I almost exclusively backpack hunt and have used my backpack as a rest. I also carry a walking stick that I can use for a standing shot if necessary.

I'll probably pick up a bipod for practice. I doubt I'll use one hunting, though, as the backpack provides a pretty solid rest.