Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipod or shooting sticks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bipod or shooting sticks?

I just purchased a Snipepod and it shipped same day. I should have it in less than a week worst case.

I am heading out east to hunt and am only a coupel of months recovered from Knee and hip Surgury so kneeling and Prone position while doable, is less than ideal. Pain and slowness of movement leave me believing I will likely be sitting or standing.

I like the concept a lot and if they are as good as they appear to be, I will be very pleased.

I like that you can use the standing version as a bipod, in essence having my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again for the heads up on these 300saum.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

I use Harris-S bipod 13"-27" (?).

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Im currently using the stoney point rapid pivot bipod. I have used a 27 inch Harris Bipod and Predator Sniper Styx with good luck also.

I have noticed that John Burns from Grey Precision has a Stoney Point rapid pivot quick attach point on the rear of his stock. On their new stock they sell they advertise it comes with the optional GreyBull Precision Rear Support System. Does anybody know what they are using or have pics of this setup in action?

If they are doing what I think they are doing its probably a very good system as shooting off a pair of shooting sticks or bipod there is always the problem with supporting the rear of your stock.
Precision Hunting Stock
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

I use a monopod. I made one 12 or so years ago from a monopod designed for a camera. Now I use one from cabelas because it's a little smaller. I've always been scary accurate using a monopod. It's amazing how solid it is when shooting from a sitting position like when coyote hunting. I've never used it past 400 yards, but I feel its effective range is well beyond that.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

I have Harris's HBLMS on my own rifle. I also carry Stoney Points Steady Stix in my pack when I'm guiding for hunters without bi pods or shooting sticks. The Steady Stix also come in handy in the sage, snow or rocks when a prone shot is not possible.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

I use both. The rifle has a Harris S-Series fitted and I always have a Stoney Point Tripod with me set up for the sitting position.

This is for hunting on foot in the Kalahari. The topography and grass most often don't play along for bipod use. By far the most shooting has been sitting of the sticks.

When hunting in the mountains I also carry both, but there the bipod has generally been fine.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I also use both.
Harris 6-9" bipod w/leg notches for long range shooting, and for hunts without long ranges expected I take my homemade bipod, made out of Chonta.
It just depends.