Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipod recommendations for a Sendero SF II.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Bipod recommendations for a Sendero SF II.

I've been experimenting with bipod options on my .300 RUM Sendero SF II. The rifle came from factory with an HS Precision stock with dual sling studs up front.

I started out using a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot bipod (Stoney Point - Rapid Pivot Bipod Prone / Bench). I love the easy on/off feature, but the bipod itself was not very good. Hard rubber holds the legs together and to get separation of the legs, you essentially stretch the rubber. First of all, I have no idea how that's going to work once the rubber gets cold (I hunt in sub-freezing temps typically). Next, when the rifle recoils, the bipod hops and the rubber pulls the legs back together which makes it very difficult to setup quickly for follow up shots.

Next, I tried a Caldwell XLA pivot bipod. Much more solid, but it's large enough that the pivot tension adjustment screw obscures the 2nd swivel stud. So, I can't mount a sling to the rifle unless I mount it directly to the bipod itself. Do Harris bipods suffer from this same form-factor issue?

So, now I'm contemplating a Seekins sling rail system (http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index_p.php?p=srs) and a picatinny mount bipod. But, if I go with a good picatinny mount bipod (Atlas or something like it), this whole systems is gonna run $250 easily (between the rail and the bipod).

What are you other Sendero SF II shooters using for a bipod system?

Thanks,
--Ben
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bipod recommendations for a Sendero SF II.

That is the exact set up I'm running. I love mine, snow and ice not sure if it is on packing, because it has slip collars, for leg notch. But mine is going in my snipepod case for hiking, on hip. I got the quick clamp, has a lock type tab, fast easy on/off. Took 1-2 months to get, military, LE first inline. I put 3@ 1000 today in 6 1/4'' off mine,338NM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
That is the exact set up I'm running. I love mine, snow and ice not sure if it is on packing, because it has slip collars, for leg notch. But mine is going in my snipepod case for hiking, on hip. I got the quick clamp, has a lock type tab, fast easy on/off. Took 1-2 months to get, military, LE first inline. I put 3@ 1000 today in 6 1/4'' off mine,338NM.
Are you saying that you're running the sling rail with the Atlas bipod? Would you mind posting a pic (if it's not too much trouble). I'm mostly interested in seeing how much the folded bipod sticks out from the stock....to see what it's going to rub on when slung over my shoulder.

How did you like the Snipepod?

--Ben
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

I like snipepod for light weight or stick sitting model in snow to get you out of it, I WILL take a measurement on mine folded, I HAVE THE MOUNT that quick release off easy to use, 1 second. the snipepod has to be balance, not stand alone. I t like alum tent pole shock corded and arrow size diameter.Atlas is like a tank. The unit sticks out folded, 2 1/8 '' from base of rifle, is 6 1/8 long folded. Can fold front or rear. I use a safari sling so rifle is at front and I have hands free for glassing or climb, weight is spread over shoulders.

Last edited by sp6x6; 04-27-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Anybody use the EMA Tactical BPO or BPOS bipod for hunting? Looks like a solid product (from the comfort of my couch ). Heckuva lot cheaper than the Atlas too...

--Ben
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Well I ordered the EMA (CAA) bipod today. Need to order the Seekins sling rail too. We'll see how it goes. Here's the bipod I ordered.....seems like a solid, well thought out unit:
NBP - Command Arms Accessories

--Ben
Old 05-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Did you give any consideratin to the Harris bipods? The models that swivel and have leg notches are great.