Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipod Buddy Rear Suppor Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Bipod Buddy Rear Suppor Review

Hey guys,

I have been doing some range and field testing on the new "Bipod Buddy" rear supports. I wanted to share my views and offer this thread for others using them to tell about their experiences, likes and dislikes of this new innovative system.

I first started testing at one of the long range shoots here in Townsend Mt. BignGreen was at this event and he too tested one out. First impression is that this is a lighter alternative and takes up less space in the back pack than a sand bag. And, if it passed the tests, I was in to have one along on future hunts.

The make up of these is basically two crossed pieces of milled and drilled aluminum that have a locking point of intersection that allows you to squeeze together or spread apart to get to the desired height needed for the shot. They come in many different sizes (heights) to adapt to the terrain you will be hunting and personal preferences. This includes some that are a scissor lift which I really like. Each has a large range of movement which is very nice.

The first target I engaged was at about 750 yards . I was pretty skeptical as to whether or not stability would be an issue. As soon as I got a feel for how to squeeze the unit allowing me to raise or lower it I was good to go. Then simply tighten the locking handle a bit and all was stable. Hits at this distance were not a problem.

I shot to 700 and 800 with no issues at all once I was familiar with the feel and adjustments.

So then it was off to the hills at home for some actual field tests on killer man eating rocks. It seems there was a large hatch this year and they are very plentiful around my area.

I tested on two occasions with both my 18lb .338 Lapua and with my much lighter 300 win mag. I was getting hits on rocks of 1 moa size to distances of 1000 yards plus. Works pretty darn good.

In summary, This is a viable option for a rear support. I feel it is better suited for the lighter rifles of 12# or less. Not that the 18 lb rifle didn't shoot off it. It was just that you needed to make sure it was locked tight and ready for recoil and weight on my 338 LM. For normal LR hunting, with a decent weight carry rifle and shots to 700 or 800 yards this is where it really shines. Like stated before , it is light, takes up a minimal space in the pack, will fit in a pack pouch or pocket and can get you above the grass for that shot where terrain is a bit of a challenge. Would I trade my sand bags for a bipod budy for that mile plus shot???? No, but for hunting I don't see this being a shot I would often take. If I was hiking in high country, where I would take a goat, deer, or elk to 700 or 800. And may have to do it from a less that perfect point of fire, or in sage brush, I would think this is where it will shine. I will be carrying one in my pack this season.

Look them over at the link beow.

Bipod Buddy Home

Please add your experiences or question as well to this thread.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bipod Buddy Rear Suppor Review

Jeff,

Does the "soft velcro" actually work to cushion your rifle, and keep it from gouging the paint on the stock?
From their photos the thin strip of velcro does not appear exceptionally durable.

Patrick

Last edited by Dr. Vette; 09-05-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

what if a fella dipped the tips in "bed liner"?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

I would like to add to Broz's review with my own rather than start another one.

Just for a little background. I was not one of the members chosen on the free trial offered by Len and Bipod Buddy. I had contacted Bipod Buddy and after a few emails I offered to buy one. They were kind enough (and also confident enough I think) to offer to send me 3 different models. I could buy one or all or return one or all.

They sent me their models of Lil Buddy, Big Buddy, and their DCS (double cross section) for my review.

I shoot/practice a couple thousand rounds a year with a 22LR rifle out to 300 yds and 8" 22LR pistol out to 200 yds per year so this is where I started. After a half dozen times I moved to the bigger guns. We also went out 2 different days to shoot various rocks up different canyons.

I agree with Broz's review to a "T" and couldn't have said it any better or any different. I came up with the same line of thinking as he posted above.

I will add one thing, I would buy their Lil Buddy for if nothing else a front end pistol rest. For any of you that hunt/shoot/practice with a pistol, this Lil Buddy is the best front end rest that I have used. The capability of slight vertical adjustment is almost instantaneous once you get the hang of it while still allowing your shooting wrist to be supported by the ground in the prone position.

Bottom line was I returned the Big Buddy and the DCS to them. This was personal preference as I want to be as close to the dirt as I can. In addition I sent them a check for the Lil Buddy that they let me test plus enough money to cover 2 more Lil Buddy's that will be going into my sons saddle bags or back packs.

Last edited by cowboy; 09-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
Jeff,

Does the "soft velcro" actually work to cushion your rifle, and keep it from gouging the paint on the stock?
From their photos the thin strip of velcro does not appear exceptionally durable.

Patrick
Patrick, The velcro is very well attached to the aluminum. It is a good cushon for most rifles. However I know you have some very nice Weatherby's with clear coated stock. It is my opinion that if the bipod buddy was not perfectly vertial where the edge of the aluminum could come in contact with the stock it could dent or scratch the finish durring the recol of a Wby. My suggestion would be to carry the bipod buddy in a small pouch or even an old glove and use it between the rifle and rest to add protection to a finely finished rifle. Other option would be the bag from a bottle of Crown Royal, Hmmm I may have one or two of those laying around. Or one could remove the velcro and dip the ends in a can of that dip coating for hand tools too.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Or one could remove the velcro and dip the ends in a can of that dip coating for hand tools too.

Jeff
That's what crossed my mind.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I was really impressed with the Bipod Buddies! I ran a few rounds of the Lil Buddy and the Double Cross small and after getting the lock situated I started getting the hang of them. I was easily able to wack some clay pigeons at the 600yrd line with both, they aren't as solid as a bag but much more versatile and convenient. I think if a guy shot enough of them you could do some good work with them. I really liked the Double Cross, I'm shooting of a 9-13 bipod and I can use the entire range of it and get good support from the double cross. I'm thinking it will work great to help get up and over the top of grass or snow while still getting some support to put the smack down on some late season elk

Bipod Buddy Rear Suppor Review-231.jpg

Bipod Buddy Rear Suppor Review-232.jpg

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"