Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bipod advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Bipod advice

Buying a bipod for a Sendero in .338 RUM. Doing some searching around here and it looks like Harris is the #1 overall choice. However recommended model and the length range isn't very well specified. Obviously prone is best but I have also had to take game at closer ranges from a kneeling with bipod stance. Is there a good option that suits both or is it best to stay with a 6"-9". Again looking for the best option for a stable long range shot while hunting. Also is there a lighter weight alternative to the Harris? Open to all suggestions before I place an order.

Thanks.
Speedy.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bipod advice

On this same road right now. Atlas is probably the slickest set up with a picatinny type quick detach....but it is ridiculously expensive. I am currently running a Black hawk unit that allows swivel and cant adjustment. I really like it. I had a Stoney Point and it died after about 7-8 shots and I got rid of it.

OK, so sitting or kneeling shots a bipod that you use for prone is probably not going to work. I have a shooting stick that folds into 3's and it fits nicely in the side compartment of my back pack. I use this bipod stick for glassing as well and it goes with me everywhere. If I have to make a shot outside of the prone position I go to the stick. I feel like I have my bases covered with set up except the fact I would like to have quick detach so the rifle fits a bit better in a scabbard etc.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
On this same road right now. Atlas is probably the slickest set up with a picatinny type quick detach....but it is ridiculously expensive. I am currently running a Black hawk unit that allows swivel and cant adjustment. I really like it. I had a Stoney Point and it died after about 7-8 shots and I got rid of it.

OK, so sitting or kneeling shots a bipod that you use for prone is probably not going to work. I have a shooting stick that folds into 3's and it fits nicely in the side compartment of my back pack. I use this bipod stick for glassing as well and it goes with me everywhere. If I have to make a shot outside of the prone position I go to the stick. I feel like I have my bases covered with set up except the fact I would like to have quick detach so the rifle fits a bit better in a scabbard etc.
Very good advice. Thank you. I do use a Stony Point now. Love it! Here is the thing. I have one that is like 6 years old. no problems with it splitting. Its so old and used the pads on the feet are about wore thru. Noticing this I bought 2 newer ones.... rubber split just like you mentioned. Still the old one is going strong. I need to come up with a solution to their problem, add a second stud and run both a prone bipod and have the quick attach for the Stony Point.

What are the lengths recommended for the prone bipods?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

Check out GG&G before you decide.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

I like the smaller ones, 6-9. If you are a big guy you might like the next size up. I have both and the taller one does not let me get down like I need to at times. I find myself fiddling with the butt stock to get the right position and that makes me raise up a bit too much. I pack a light caldwell rear bag in my pack and for a long range shot I use the bag to help control hold. I think you can make either of the smaller sizes work for prone.

Look at that Atlas, if you have 200-300 it might be a very nice option.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armored Transport View Post
Check out GG&G before you decide.
Interesting,

Says they only weigh in at 11oz's. Do you have any experience with the GG&G's?

Thanks,
Speedy.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

The Atlas is 10-11 oz. and is a great unit,favor the rail with QD.legs have optional extensions.Ans swing either way