Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Is "Big Green Slipping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Is "Big Green Slipping?

First and formost I would like to start by saying that I have always been a Remington man, But in the past couple of years, I have noticed suttle but accumulative changes in their products and services. I was recently in a well to do gun shop, and was looking at some of the new models, and prices naturally, and noticed that the fit and finish just wasn'tthe best. Secondly, I recently had a rifle that went back for warranty work. It was returned with little explanation as to what was done, and the repair was borderline adequite. I have had freinds tell me that they were having issues, and they just don't seem to be as "accurate out of the box"as they used to be, and I can attest to that. Could this be that the new owners, Freedom Group or whoever has changed the rules or is it just a sign of the times. I do know that most factory rifles are Diamonds in the Rough. But it seems like a little more polishig is needed these days. Please don't get me wrong! I am not bashing Remington, as I own a lot of their rifles, and may even buy another soon. I am just wondering why the Quality is not as sharp any more.Any thoughts or similar opinions? 7STW
Old 02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is "Big Green Slipping?

Their Q.C. and workmanship is in bad need of attention.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Bronze Member

A good friend bought one of the new Remington XHR's (Extreme Hunting Rifle) in 300 RUM last fall. This rifle has the triangular barrel and camo Tupperware stock. I warned him about the stock, but we decided to see if perhaps he lucked up and got one that would shoot well.

To begin with, the X-Mark trigger would not adjust below 5 lbs. and he had to get Remington to send a replacement. Then, the rifle shot poorly throughout the break-in, with no consistency in grouping at all. When we looked at the once-fired brass, we were astounded to see spiral ridges that had been fire formed into the body of every piece! The chamber had been improperly cut/never finished!

We finally got the rifle to shoot 4" groups at 200 yards by grinding out the pressure pad in the stock, free floating the barrel. After hunting season he sent the rifle back to the factory and they replaced the barrel. He has ordered a B&C Medalist stock.

On this rifle, Big Green was a shadow of the former company! They are obviously more interested in producing rifles with new and unique looks, or with "tactical" looks and features, rather than rifles that shoot well.

Sad!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

I think you both nailed it.Rem just isnt what they used to be. My father-in-law was a Rem only kinda guy,and built a few customs on thier actions as well. Now-a-days he wont even consider looking at them. Q/C seems to have gone by the wayside, and thier triggers are not even close to what they were. Its too bad, but I realy do think that theyve gone away from what has made them so reputable and liked(quality 700's) to pushing the ''tacticle'' and ''tupperware'' stuff instead. Hopefully thier corprate decision makers decide to look hard at what origionaly made Rem famous, and take a couple steps back in that direction.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Here is one gun writer's opinion on a Big Green product.
Clunker of 2009 Award
Old 02-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

I have 9 Rem 700's and 2 actions (that's just the bolt guns) I picked up as donor actions. I have become discussed with Remington, I used to be a huge fan, but as much as their quality has gone down, they have turned away from us lefties. They have a vary limited caliber choices and limited model choices.

From now on it's custom's, clones, and Savages.

Remington fan no more.

Southpaw
Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I have 9 Rem 700's and 2 actions (that's just the bolt guns) I picked up as donor actions. I have become discussed with Remington, I used to be a huge fan, but as much as their quality has gone down, they have turned away from us lefties. They have a vary limited caliber choices and limited model choices.

From now on it's custom's, clones, and Savages.

Remington fan no more.

Southpaw
When I originally started this thread, I thought that maybe some of what I was seeing and saying was just alittle bit here and there. But I guess it is alittle more wide spread , and like I said before, a sign of the times. I have always thought of Remington, just like apple pie, and chevrolet. They USED to make some very nice and ACCURATE firearms! I know because I have a gun cabinet full of em'. But this new gen. is crap, and poor qc, and not so freindly as they used to be customer service. It is really saddening, and almost sickening. Just when you think at least a few things won't change, they do , and for the worst. I think that the good ones were the ones that were bought in the late 90's and early 2000 area. After that, or about when Freedom took over, quality went to the pooper. (p/s, they now own Barnes Bullets) Like you said, at least they make good platforms for custom rifles, if you get one of the older actions. Saddened! 7STW