Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bi-pod and Butt-pod thoughts???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Bi-pod and Butt-pod thoughts???

Kirby is building me a rifle and I am now looking for the after build bells and whistles. I want some bi-pods and a butt-pod....EASY WITH THE BUTT_POD JOKES [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am thinking Harris Benchrest bi-pods but have not found a butt-pod that I like? Any suggestions? I looked at the muley-pod and DO NOT like the looks of it.

Any other?

Kyle
Old 12-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bi-pod and Butt-pod thoughts???

I have several Harris bi-pods - they work great. The swivel yoke models are worth the extra couple of bucks. I have 2 of the BR models. They work well from the bench but <font color="blue"> may </font> not work too well when shooting prone. Big guys seem to find it hard to get that low and choose a longer legged model for prone shooting. They do, however, work ok for me.

I also own an "Accupod" or some such thing. It is an adjustable pod which attaches to the rear sling swivel. It proved to be a pain in the neck and adversly affected the way the rifle recoiled. See if you can borrow one of these "butt-pods" before you lay down your cash.

Just my 2 cents - VH
Old 12-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I'm a big fan of the sock full of sand. They don't work in all situations just like a bipod, depending on height of grass, slope etc. When conditions are right, they work well. You can get pretty darn stable off of just a bipod though. I'd try a butt pod before I shelled out any money for it though. I gotta tell you, I hate the name butt pod.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

We use simple sand-sock type bags filled with beanie-baby beads you can buy from hobby stores. Light, don't hold moisture, work great. Put a carrying handle on one end, make several sizes and shapes to give a choice in the field or on the bench. Seems the size and shape of a sock works best tho.
I carry one in a pocket when hunting, could snap it to a carabeener since they have carrying handles sewn on one end. Harris on the forend or just use a buttpack or backpack for a rest, beanbag for the butt.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Froggy is the recognized expert - and he saz: " I like <font color="red"> Harris swivel bipods with notched legs.</font> When the bipod is set up properly, and if you push slightly forward with the rifle to firm up the 'pod's legs, excellent results can be realized with lots of practice.
Excellent article at the 6mmbr site
I just noticed Froggy uses the cos knob.