Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Best scope for your buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 AM

Best scope for your buck

I am starting out and is in the process of trying to figure out what the best scope for my money would be under $1000.00
I am looking at the SWFA 10 x 42 Hd witch is almost the same price as the IOR Valdada.
Any comments or preferance on these.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best scope for your buck

It will help to know your application. Are you putting it on a lightweight carry rifle? A heavy long-range set-up? Are you hunting or target shooting? How far out will you be shooting, with what cartridge? Do you want target turrets, ballistic reticle, both? Is super clear glass more important than durability, or vice-versa?

The more info you provide the better the responses will be.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Ok let's have a look at what I have and where I want to go with it.
The rifle I want to use is my Remington 700 BDL in 7mm - 08.
This was used for silouette shooting ( I don't know if you have this dissipline in the States.)
I currently hunt with this little gun and use it on just about everything up to Wildebeest (I live in South - Africa) with no problems.
I would like to keep it as a hunting rifle but for longer ranges.It does not nesseseraly mean that it has to be a rifle you have to carry around all day.I will hunt with it for plains game (Springbuck....) where you can be stationary and take shots at just about any range within your capability.
I would however like to use this as a 500 - 800 yard gun.
I will probably upgrade at a later stage to somethig more suitable for those realy long shots.
The conversion of this will be a process ( I am sure it is the case with most guns)rather than a total rebuild,starting with the optics.
I am confident that the rifle can do 800 yards with the correct load and bullet combo as is , with the correct glass mounted .
Botom line is that we are a bit limmited with what is on offer in SA and therefore I need some input from people who have used the different scopes on the market.It is not that easy to go to a dealer and ask for the model you are interested in to have a look at.
Appreciate all honest feedback.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if you have reticle preference but here's on for your consideration ...

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Rifle scopes FREE S&H PST-624S1-A, PST-624S1-M. Vortex Rifle Scopes. (not necessarily the best priced source)

Note on export restriction, if applicable.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Bronze Member

IMO, for under a $1000 the Sightron SIII cannot be beat. The 6-24 x 50mm with the MOA reticle would be great.

Sightron Riflescopes SIII Series SIIISS624X50LRIRMOA
Old 08-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Bronze Member

+1 on the Sightron SIII. I got mine (8-32x50 MD) for $840 shipped. It's a lot of scope for the $. The clarity is awesome and the tracking is true. The focus is a little tight but I'm hoping that will loosen up after it gets some more use. I like it really well. In hind sight, I think I should have just went with the 6-24 and had the extra vertical adjustment. At 32x it's easy to lose the target upon recoil. I usually end up on 20-24x anyways. It was definately a big step up from my Nikon Monarch. (which is still a nice scope though)
Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

This is where I ordered mine from. Great service and fast shipping.

Sightron SIII SS 6-24x50 LR Mil-Dot Riflescope (SIIISS624x50LRMD/CM) - SIII Series - Riflescopes - Sightron - 4Scopes.com