Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Best Progressive Reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Progressive Reloader

Another Dillon fan here. Superb products and the best customer service in the industry, a hard combination to beat. As far as David Tubb using progressives to load his match ammo, I assure you, he does. Not exactly an out-of-the-box set up, though. David's an inveterate tinkerer, and tends to modify everything to suit his needs. His progressive presses are no exception. He was (and probably still is) using a Prometheus system on his RL550, meaning that all the charges were weighed on a lab-grade scale and trickled to the tenth, precisely. Not too bad for a progressive press!

Even using a "stock" press, they're capable of turning out some veery good quality ammo. Dillon also makes an adapter that allows the use of other powder measures, since theirs admittedly has some issues with some extruded tubular powders. I don't want to have my powder selection dictated to me by what a measure will or will not function with, thank you very much. I use an old RL 450 for virtually all my short range ammo, but that's with Redding seating dies (on brass that has been sized and inspected in a separate operation) and fitted with a Redding BR-30 measure using one of Dillons adapters. Not exactly what most would think of as a true "progressive" but I still get a bit anal about some operations. Hey, we all modify our procedures and our equipment to suit our particular needs, don't we?

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
Old 04-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I've loaded somewhere around 200,000 rounds on my Dillon 650 and it is an amazing machine. I wouldn't however EVER use it for large cartridges, I don't think the shell plate is sufficient for resizing/pushing shoulder's back.

My long range rifles (7mmRM, 300WSM, 338 Edge and 338 Allen Magnum) are not the type of rifles that will stand for extended range sessions (I'm not enamored with barrel changes).

For 'Long Range Rifles', I don't see the necessity of a progressive press. I could load enough ammo in a few hours using a single stage press to severely erode the throat/barrel on any of my 'big boomers'; why would I spend the effort of setting up a progressive for a run of less than 1000 rounds?

For rifle rounds out to 500yds or so (308, 223 etc), I am sure my Dillon 650 would be fine (I typically use it for 40SW, 38spcl, 357mag, 9mm etc etc).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Another Dillon fan here. Superb products and the best customer service in the industry, a hard combination to beat. As far as David Tubb using progressives to load his match ammo, I assure you, he does. Not exactly an out-of-the-box set up, though. David's an inveterate tinkerer, and tends to modify everything to suit his needs. His progressive presses are no exception. He was (and probably still is) using a Prometheus system on his RL550, meaning that all the charges were weighed on a lab-grade scale and trickled to the tenth, precisely. Not too bad for a progressive press!

Even using a "stock" press, they're capable of turning out some veery good quality ammo. Dillon also makes an adapter that allows the use of other powder measures, since theirs admittedly has some issues with some extruded tubular powders. I don't want to have my powder selection dictated to me by what a measure will or will not function with, thank you very much. I use an old RL 450 for virtually all my short range ammo, but that's with Redding seating dies (on brass that has been sized and inspected in a separate operation) and fitted with a Redding BR-30 measure using one of Dillons adapters. Not exactly what most would think of as a true "progressive" but I still get a bit anal about some operations. Hey, we all modify our procedures and our equipment to suit our particular needs, don't we?

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
Kevin,

Thanks for that clarification! I can see David using a progressive especially arranged for his needs, and I should have been more specific about what I meant.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

AJ,

Have to agree with you there. I use mine for HP Service Rifle ammo, which means many, many thousands of rounds per year. For hunting ammo (other than varmint stuff, of course), I wouldn't bother with a progressive. As I'd described, even when I use the Dillon for Match ammo, it's not being used as a truly progressive press. I've never sized my rifle cases on the Dillon, and modify my methods to achieve what I want.

There's a time and place for everything!

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Thomas; 04-03-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Bill,

Glad that helps. Hey, as I'd just explained to AJ, I have a single stage press on my bench too, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use the hell out of it, even in conjunction with the progressives. The progressives are nice, really great for some applications, but they're not the answer to every situation. They can be a pain to set up, they require an extra large dose of attention in operation, and you can turn out huge amounts of bad ammo in a hurry. I got a call from a guy one time who'd loaded something like a thousand rounds before finding that they wouldn't chamber in his rifle. Like I said, large doses of attention to detail!

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin

Last I knew, which was a time ago, David Tubb was using the Promethius Powder measure system ($1200) for his LR loads. I am sure you are familiar with that system.

Like you I have a 450 that Dillon converted to a 550 and it makes decent loads but the powder measure is the big hinderance and I have not found any measure to include my $280 Harrels that will throw consistent LR loads.

I measure each LR load on a Denver instruments digital to .01 grain.

BH
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM

I've owned them all (progressives), and the only one I have left is a Dillon XL650