Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Best Muzzle Brake??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Re: Best Muzzle Brake??

i was looking at the que brake from brownells just a bit ago and it looks good. basically an aftermarket BOSS system. does anyone know how well these work? i am looking for a brake that looks like a BOSS but i dont know really anything out there
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM

First off let me say hello and that im new to this forum. In my personal experance I like the hollad brake for two ressones. The first is there are no holes on the bottom with keeps dirt from blowing up if you ever shoot prone. The second is that it just works

You guys have a great site here keep up all the good work
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kdude View Post
Hello Shawn,

I'm with you, beauty is as beauty does, period. So how does the JP brake compare recoil reduction wise with other baffled brakes you have experience with? The large area for the gasses to push against looks like it would work very well actually counteracting the recoil. Anybody ever actually measure them side by side?

Thanks, Brad
I've got the JP brake on my 338 UM and a buddy of mine has the Badger Ordinance brake on his 338-300 UM. My JP brake reduces recoil a fair amount more this his brake. Everyone who has shot my rifle comments on how little recoil it has. I've not tried many other muzzle brakes but the JP is by far the most effective brake I've used.

It does look like a tank though. I get a lot of curious looks during hunting season.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
SPONSOR

Check out this video link that Len recently posted:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...handgun-36059/
Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

I have 2 different .257 Wby rifles, one a Mark V lightweight and the other one is a Vanguard. I had Kirby put a small PK on the Mark V and when shooting both guns from the bench, the difference between the two is amazing. Both guns are outfitted the same, with the exception of the barrel length - the Vanguard is 2" shorter, and weighs 1 1/2# more.

The Vanguard shoots an 110g Accubond @ 3400 fps

The MarkV shoots a 130g Wildcat @ 3250 fps.

Those were the two velocities that were the most accurate in each rifle for that bullet. Both guns used H-1000 powder, the MarkV needed 1.5g more powder than the Vanguard.

The MarkV has at least half the recoil, but the thing that I noticed the most is that there is NO rifle torque. The Vanguard will lift the left bipod leg a good 2" and the markV just sits there. The MarkV had a type of MB that had holes all around it, and Kirby's beats it hands down. No dirt kicked up as well, where with the other brake I would get a dirt shower every time I pulled the trigger.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

I know they are not the premier choice, but I want a brake that does not need to be installed in a precise orientation (swap barrel)

How do the Harrells and Shrewd compare, and is one or the other more labor intensive to install? I am near a smith who puts on the shrewd for 120 total. I can get the Harrells for 30 but am not sure I can find someone who can install it for much less total cost.

I am putting this on a 338RUM or similar, and would like the recoil to be similar to a standard '06, or at least less than the 338win.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM

What about being easy to shoot I have one thats about the same design as the holland on my 7RUM but it's the muzzel blast that kills me.