Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Best Muzzle Brake??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Best Muzzle Brake??

Well as always, there is way too much opinion and little fact that I can find regarding muzzle brakes. I know they work, I have two 300win mags with brakes. They make shooting these magnum rifles enjoyable for me. Now I am in the process of rebarreling and want to install a new brake, if I can decide on which brake to install. Of course, lots of guys like the Badger Ordance, the Holland, the Vais and the Answer System brakes. Has anyone done an actual comparision? This is for a hunting rifle, one is a heavy barrel shot mostly from a bench or prone, the other is my carry gun, both are 300mags. Thanks for your imput.

Publisher's Note:
This is the one I use for my personal rifles.
The Muscle Brake. Watch the video in action.

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-26-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Best Muzzle Brake??

In the next couple of months I will be getting a XP-100 in 6.5-28 and I have both a Vais and the Holland QD set-up to fit the barrel.
I have had several Vais's in the past and they were my favorite until I used the QD.
This will be the first time to actually compare the two on the same gun.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Here is one objective data comparison.
My wife has a Win M70 7wsm which weighs 9 pounds and has an Ops Inc brake. There is literally almost no recoil. Just a gentle push. I have a heavy 7wsm built by Chris Matthews which all geared up is right at 15 pounds and has a Badger Ordinance brake. It has light recoil, but still more than my wife's with the Ops Inc. Between the two, the Ops Inc is noticeably more effective.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

GO with the Defensive Edge or Holland. Best I have used so far that are still pleasing to the eye. I use mainly DE brakes now with the ballance being Hollands for my personal rifles and customer rifles.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

The Great Mr. Allen has spoken. Just kidding, never thought my post would get a response from you; that means alot to me. I have never hear/seen the Ops brake or the DE brake. I will be checking them out. Since I have you attention, may I ask one more question:

My Savage is going to Sharp Shooters Supply - good choice/bad choice --- why?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

The vais is the quietest and the accubrake most efficient, from what I have read.

Is this the holland?

I think it looks hideous!

Now the accubrake is much nice looking in my opinion.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Yah POP thats the Holland....