Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

best deerrifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2004, 11:50 PM

best deerrifle

i am an avid hunter wantng to buy a deer rifle im interested in a military type rifle
i live in tennessee theres really no long range distances like 1000 yards or so i need
knockdown power at about 150 yardsor so
can anyone give any good advice

thanks
get-r-done
Old 09-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: best deerrifle

get-r-done,

Have you look at a M1 garand or M1-a1? In some state the AR type rifles are not legals due to the smaller bullets. Both will do fine I am poly sure if bullet placement is right.
My old friend hunt deer using an SKS, he seems to like it but I don't believe he even have a clue about all the wonderfull cartriges and rifles out there.
I personally believe that when it come to hunting, a super very accurate bolt gun is better, after all if I miss the first shot, the game deserve to live.
Hope this help, if not the guys on this forum are much more experienced than I.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

I am not an advocate of using a .223 for any biggame. However, if you would like to use an AR-15, or one of the varients, these rifles are also built for heavier cartridges. You should be able to get one in .243 or .308.

Just a thought

VH
Old 09-05-2004, 12:21 PM

Olympic arms makes the Ar's in alot of calibers 6.8, 243, some of the new short mags, me i like the old savage scout in .308 with a eotech mounted up front, it is light fast and really accurate. jsut my opin
Old 09-05-2004, 02:54 PM

Hey I thank you guys for the info
i really needed some help i really liked your output about if you missed the game would still be alive .i am only 22
and i find older hunters who will take a shot on a deer that is not a kill shot i try
to take the best shot i can thats the reason i dont kill a lot but i dont lose a lot of game for the meet eating animals i really
hate to see this kinda game mangement
hey if you guys have any good storys i love to hear

thanks
GET-R-DONE
PLEASE REMEMBER OR MILITARY IN YOUR PRYERS
AND ALWAYS GET-R-DONE
Old 09-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Not quite sure what you mean by "military type" rifles, so I'll suggest a Springfield. That be '03-A3 or Trapdoor.

Depending on your state, if you're shooting a semi-auto,you may have problems getting magazines with limited enough capacity to be legal for game. Fer instance, here in Oregon, you can't hunt game with a semi-auto rifle with a magazine capable of holding more than 5 shells. That removes the M1 Garand from the list. So, check your regs, maybe even call fish-n-game and see what they say.

I'd highly suggest avoiding anything in .223. I shot a deer with a .223 once, neck shot at about 40 yards, but it didn't have enough momentum to break the spine. The deer went down in a heap, but by the time I walked the 40 yards it was getting up to leave. I'd handed my rifle to my dad and I was in the way so he couldn't finish it off, left my pistol home, so I had to finish the deed with my knife. It was not a good situation.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Bronze Member

My first deer rifle was a Lee Enfield Mk1No4 .303. It's an old British military bolt action with plenty of power, and an excellent deer rifle. They shoot a 180 gr. round nose Remington Coreloct at 2480 fps, if I remember right. It'll pile a deer up in a hurry!