Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Best Cleaning Kit/Method

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Best Cleaning Kit/Method

I was wondering if the OTIS Elite cleaning system is a solid method or not for a long range rig as well as shotguns and pistols. Are there better methods? and what would you recomend?

Thanks,
Connor
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Cleaning Kit/Method

After years of trying multiple different solvents and approaches I have found that Boretech CU+2, nylon brush/Jag works very well in eliminating carbon and copper quickly. Final coat of Montana Bore Conditioner for barrel snd chamber/bolt when done cleaning. I use a Dewey nylon coated rod and bore guide.before shooting I run a couple of dry patches down the bore and chamber. iMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Cleaning Kit/Method

I'll use the Otis system in the field or at the range, but IMO it is not the easiest/most effective for cleaning on the gun bench.

I have a cheap gun vise, and always use a bore guide. I couldn't tell you what rod I have (one-piece), but I use the tipton nickel coated jags and they work well. I typically run wet patches (Butch's solvent) until they show clean, and then run a loose wet patch and let it sit for a bit. Come back, patch it out dry and clean, chase it with FP-10 and call it good. Seems to work for me, but everyone has their own method.