Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Bell & Carlson Stocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Bell & Carlson Stocks?

I was just wondering what you guys think about these stocks? I do not know anyone who has messed with them and would like to get some opinions on them before I purchase one.

I'm currently interesrted in the Model 2092 Medalist Varmit/Tactical Style stock for my Rem Model 700 SPS. Also, will this stock leave a very wide gap between itself & the factory barrel and can I install it myself?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bell & Carlson Stocks?

I just got my medalist tactical/varmint yesterday replacing a Rem 700 sps varmint stock. I am very very pleased with the way this thing feels in my hands. Like night and day difference from the factory stock. I haven't held a H-S or a McMillan so I can't give you an opinion there. I can say I am really happy with what I got (the bell and carlson) and the price.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

I have two B&C stocks and like them both. As far as barrel gap get a stock that is matched to your rifle barrel diameter and most are drop in.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

I have both HS Precision and B&C Medalist stocks. For the money, I prefer the B&C myself. It just seems to fit me a little better, so that has a lot to do with it. It's a great buy in my opinion.

Brian
Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Salty Hog View Post
I was just wondering what you guys think about these stocks? I do not know anyone who has messed with them and would like to get some opinions on them before I purchase one.

I'm currently interesrted in the Model 2092 Medalist Varmit/Tactical Style stock for my Rem Model 700 SPS. Also, will this stock leave a very wide gap between itself & the factory barrel and can I install it myself?

S.H. sounds like your headed in the right direction with replacing the factory stock with something different. As you probably know the SPS stocks are not of the best quality although some shoot fairly well.

We purchased a Rem. 700 SPS V in .308 about 3 weeks ago and performed the barrel breakin. Shortly after we purchased a B&C Medalist Tactical #2092-02 and installed it ourself. We had a couple places near the tang that we hit with a Dremel Tool and used a 7/8" wooden dowel and sandpaper to knock down a high spot in the barrel channel to make it completely free floating. It took maybe 30 minutes to do this.

Hows it shoot? Don't know yet as we have some handloads ready but have not had the time to get back out to the range. During barrel breakin we shot some .75 3 shot groups with factory Rem. 150 gr. Core Lokts (the cheap stuff $18.95) and that was with the factory stock. Would like to see how
this stock works and also maybe skim bed the action.

Will try to update after we get to shoot again. Hope your stock works out OK