Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Badger Repeatability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Badger Repeatability

We recently removed a 4-16 Nikon Tactical scope from a .308 Win. rifle and replaced it with the new Bushnell tactical scope for some evaluating. When finished we took it off and re-torqued the Badgers that are on the Nikon, cranked on the 680 yard come-up and hit the steel at point of aim twice (we had set up a little short of 700 because of terrain).
I expected him to check the 100 yard zero since we had a target at 100 but my buddy shot at 680 with the freshly mounted scope - no boresighting, no sweat.
Nice performance from those Badgers and the Nikon as far as repeatability.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Badger Repeatability

Ian

Seems like I'm always moving scopes and have had the same repeatability experiences with the Badger rings and bases. Sometimes I bring 2 scopes for 1 rifle, both preZeroed and they work fine.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:39 PM

Ian--
I've had the same experiences with the new NightForce rings and bases. You must have been shooting with Big Sky-- He related the same story over on 24 Hour Campfire... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]
Old 07-07-2002, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Chris,
Troy just came up north for some shooting, he has been up a couple of times now and I believe he is enjoying shooting with us. Also had him shooting the electronic moving target system, until my partner shot the power cable with a slightly errant .22 LR bullet. Easy to fix fortunately but had to be done back home. We packed up and headed out to shoot LR.

Bottom line seems to be if the bolts are torqued properly the scope comes back extremely close to the original positon. Steel on steel.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

You guys are all using the one piece base, true?
Old 07-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Silver Member

Brent,

To my knowledge, Badger Ordnance only makes one piece bases. FWIW, I have had the same excellent results as the others, and will be working out a zero chart so that I can switch scopes between rifles this fall. I wouldn't trust other base/ring combo's to be repeateable, but have complete confidence in the badgers.

FatBoy...
Old 07-11-2002, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Brent,
We are using one piece bases, the military seems to like to call them rails or Picatinny rails. I use Near Manufacturing and Badgers, both are excellent, have 20 moa slope. There are a few others. Also have a Leupold MK4 that does not have the slope.

They are a little heavier than other bridge type bases but they are so uniform that you can even switch scopes from rifle to rifle with good results. The other requirement is the use of 65 in/pound torque wrenches for uniform tension on the 1/2" nuts that clamp the rings to the bases.