Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

B and C Carbelite stock vs. McMillan EDGE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Bronze Member

B and C Carbelite stock vs. McMillan EDGE

You can buy MCMillan stocks, ready to ship at the LRH Store.

I'm looking at having a med-light weight hunting rifle built with a Remington short action for a little 6.5mm wildcat round built off a modified (shortened) WSM case. There are 2 stocks I'm looking at: the Bell and Carlson Carbelite (around $155) and the McMilllan Edge (around $475.)

What I can't figure out is why the dramatic price difference. I've previously had a Carbelite and seen no really noticeable wrap, flex, or temp expansion/contraction. Also, from what I've read, these stocks are made via (as best I can find out) exactly the same process: hand layup of the fabric followed by injection of the composite mix. Neither of the models I'm looking at appear to have pillar bedding or an action or full-length aluminum bedding block, so no difference there either...

I'm more than happy to pay the extra money if the McMillan offers a notable advantage - such as noticeably better accuracy. Cany anyone shed any light on why McMillan believes their stock to be so much better? Has anyone had a chance to evaluate *specifically these 2 models* side by side that could shed some light on any advantages of the McMillan? Yes, I do know on other models there are noteable differences with the McMillan and I don't want to down play that at all. But I also don't want to toss another $300+ extra at the rifle for the stock unless it will make a difference.

Thanks for your input!!
Scott

Last edited by edited by; 03-31-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: B and C Carbelite stock vs. McMillan EDGE

I have never compared the two side by side, but I've owned several mcmillans and I have shot rifles with a B&C. The mcmillans feel like they are made better, more solid I guess. I don't think they are both made the same way. I personally like the marble patterns that are available from mcmillan, but I'm not sure that's worth $300.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

I can't shed any light on a side by side comparison, but I can say that I'm in the market for a stock. I'm putting a rifle together similar to the one you describe. I'll be going with the B&C Medalist with the aluminum bedding block. I'll be ordering it from Bell and Carlson Medalist Rifle Stocks where the base price is $204 and when I'm done with some custom options, it will be about $255. For all the research I've done, it's a great middle option between the $150 and the $500 stocks.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys!

This rifle is taking a slight timing back seat it turns out. Talked to the rifle smith today and my new tactical hunting rifle will be ready this Friday and I just cannot wait!!!

It will have:
Accuracy International fixed stock (AIWS) and magazine
26" #5 contour 5C barrel
Trued Rem action
Titanium firing pin
NightForce 5.5-22x56mm scope, NP2DD illuminated reticle with zero stop, NF rings and bases
Chambered for my wildcat 6.5 Powder Keg cartridge (basically a 6.5x.284 but using a shortened WSM case so the 140-142 gr. bullets will not have to be seated deeply into the case and still can work in a short action at 2.76 overall cartridge length.

So since the one above is going to be ready sooner, the light rifle will have to follow that rifle be a couple weeks or so depending on how things play out. So I have a bit more time for stock research.

Thanks again for any and all info on the McMillan EDGE vs. the Carbelite stocks!