Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

APS & LSR Rebarrel Projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

APS & LSR Rebarrel Projects

Project Report,

I had 2 rifles rebarreled in parallel. .270Wby Rebarreled by Kirby Allen(APS) and a .257Wby rebarreled by Chris Mathews (LSR).

Specs:
.270Wby sports a SST Rock Creek Barrel 5R cut rifling, 1 in 10 twist heavy barrel with deep cut flutes, 26" long. Short Throat specd by Kirby.
Barreled action weighs 7 lbs. With stock and scope = 11lbs.

270Wby with 16X Super Sniper in temporary Bell & Carlson Stock (not bedded, just slapped into stock)

All targets shot at 100yards.

This was all the load developing I've done so far. My final load for the .270 is IMR7828-69.5gr, 140 Accubond.

This rifle is a real pleasure to shoot and I am very happy with it. Kirby did an awesome job and I have to give credit to Mike Rock. He did a great job with the deep cut fluting. The barrel is 1.120 at the threads straight for 6 inches and then a straight taper that ends at .75" dia at the muzzle.

.257Wby Rebarreled by Chris Mathews is next.

The .257Wby has a lighter SST barrel, It's a Broughton 5R button pulled barrel, 26" long and was fluted by Chris.

The final load I've selected for the .257Wby is IMR7828-70.5gr, 115 Nosler Balistic Tip.

I was just starting to narrow down my load development when the .257 started giving my trouble. Just last week while at the range, the firing pin released when I closed the bolt. I did not pull the trigger. The primer was not hit, but the cocking piece slipped off the sear and wedged on top of it. I could not even open the bolt until the trigger was pulled, releasing the sear and unwedging the cocking piece. I tried to close the bolt (with the chamber empty) several times and and the firing pin released about 50% of the time. I want to point out that Chris did not work on the trigger and this is something that developed about 4 months after getting the rifle back. I suspect that the tolerance stack up in all the parts are at minimum material condition and whatever wear has occured with normal wear of cycling the bolt has allowed the cocking piece to slip off the sear.

I just mailed the rifle to a Wby service center for repair. I'll see what they say in about 3 weeks.

Well that's the end of my report.

Take care,
Vic
Old 05-13-2006, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: APS & LSR Rebarrel Projects

How did Chris throat the 257?

Just my opinion, but I don't think the gun likes your powder & bullet combination. I would try 4350, 4831 and RL22. Depending on what you intend to use the 257 on, you might consider the Accubond or Sierra 120 gameking or Hornady 115 SPBT. One of the problems of the 257 is the lack of high BC bullets to shoot.

Perhaps switching primers would help and yes I know everybody recommends Fed 215s but sometimes something else works better.

Final thought is that I have broad band and you are killing me with that many pictures in one post. The slow dial up people are going to hunt you down and stake you out in a prairie dog town. Might want to consider in the future breaking it up into two or three separate posts so people can open up multiple windows.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Those are two sweet looking rifles , could you get some better pics of the flutes and what size they are ?

What kind of velocity are you getting?

Have you compaired the velocities between the two barrels ?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Silver Member

Hi Bob,

Chris put a short throat in the .257Wby. I can load bullets touching the lands.
I have tried various bullet combinations and have not found the perfect load yet. I have tried IMR4831 and it will not perform in any of my rifles. H4350 works great in my .243Win but is a bit too fast for the magnums and from bief testing, has not given me reason to pursue it further.

69.0gr of Reloder 22 works ok with the 120gr Sierra Game King hollow pt., (if you can read the writing on the lower left corner of each target, you can see the recipe) it is one of the powder/bullet cominations I tried.

I also tried Nosler Accubonds 110gr, with Reloader 25, but did not get good results, 1.5" groups, not even worth posting.

I've been trying lots of powder/bullet combinations, various distances off lands, and just can't find anything that will shoot consistently. The 115gr Accubond with 70.5gr of IMR7828 is the most consistent load I have found to date.

I have not checked bullet speed yet. Will have to wait for the rifle to come back to check.

Sorry about the file size. Not sure what you pay for dial-up but just for your info, I use dslextreme service and it's $15 / month. Way worth the price compared to dial up. I suggest you keep your eyes open for special deals, SBC has been advertising DSL for $12.95 or something like that. When you upgrade to a DSL connection you will feel like a hundred lb boulder has been lifted off or your shoulders.

Take care,
Vic
Old 05-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

JDJones,

I cannot get closer pics, I tried but the image blurrs if I try to get closer.
I specified the flutes on the Rock Creek barrel.
Rock Creek will cut them to your specs. That's a big plus in my book.
The barrel has 8 flutes. The minimum amount of material between the bottom of a flute and the bore is .150. The cutter is shaped with 45 deg. side walls and I think it was a .07 radius at the bottom of the flute.

The barrel started out as 1.120 dia, is straight for 6.0 inches and then a straight taper until it ends at .75 diameter.

If I had it to do over, I would go 3 to 4" straight and start the taper sooner, that would take a little more weight out of it. Right now it does not fit well into my current stock pictured. There is hardly any meat on the sides of the forearm. I cut the channel in the forearm at an angle so I would not go as deep into the stock and break thru the walls, so there is a lot of upward pressure from the stock, but I don't think the barrel notices any of it. I do have a new Bell & Carlson Medalist, Varmint, Wby style stock on order. I will properly glass bed and freefloat when it comes in.

I have not had time to check speed yet. I will do that the next time I have a chance to get to the range. I will keep you posted as data becomes available.

See ya,
Vic
Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Victor, just curious as why you would go with a 1.12 dia. this seems a little small. not much shoulder hitting against the receiver. most blanks come with a 1.200 or 1.250.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Those pics are not exactly good advertising for Chris or Kirby. I had to look again at your range distance as I expected those groups to be at 300 yards. I don't want to give you the wrong impression as they are some fine looking rifles, but something is off in your load recipe.