Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Anyone seen the new win. stealth II ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone seen the new win. stealth II ?

Ed,
Welcome to Long Range Hunting, there is lots of good info and people here. FN vs Stealth ll - that is a good one. FN has a variety of stock choices, barrel lengths, maybe even calibers. Big hassle a while back about the Picatinny rail, not sure which one is on current rifles. Should be at least 20 degree slope. FN barrels were chrome plated, supposedly selected for quality from FN machine gun barrel manufacture. Real good shooters.
Stealth ll is more "varminty", not tactical looking or intended.
Seems to me that the FN's are controled round feeding, Stealths in .308 are pushfeed. Both work fine.
Depends on the $, stocks would be one significant difference, maybe heard that the FN's were supposed to be select quality, trued actions but not sure about facts of that.
Let me know what you decide, sure would enjoy helping you get into this LR stuff. You still planning some Sask. or Manitoba hunting?
Jim and Ed,
I was told by Winchester that Stealth ll production is questionable right now, not sure when rifles will be manufactured and on the shelves. Hoped for a couple of months or less, but that might be incorrect.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:11 AM

Hey Ian, imagine running into you here! I had no idea this board existed. Lots of good info.

Since I didn't get to the shot show this year, what did you think of the FN PBR as compared to the Stealth II? I believe the FN is quite similar to the Stealth, but is lighter and available in several barrel lengths, possibly making it more portable for carrying in the field. It also apparently comes with a MIL-SPEC rail, but not sure if it has any elevation built into it.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:08 AM

Ian,
I'll be at Brian & Sylvia's place the end of May, but if I remember correctly, you'll be in Alaska that week. Hopefully the 5th trip is the charm for a color phased bear! I drew another fall tag here in Wisconsin, but we have no color phases here.

Incidently, I was not able to book a spot with Tim Tillard, but will be going to Wyoming for antelope and mulies with a couple of buddies in Sept/Oct.

Ed
Old 03-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Ed,
Anyone who lives as close to a big range as you do deffinitely NEEDS a long range rifle like an FN or Stealth ll.

Your time is due to meet up with a blonde or cinnamon up here, you sure you don't come up just to enjoy Syl's cookin'...
I would join you in a heartbeat if I was around, hope you get to go to Charlie's Creek, that place is bear heaven.

Bring your new LR rifle up, nothing wrong with busting a 500 pound bear at 500 yards!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:31 AM

I know...living within 2 miles of a 1000 yard range does impose certain requirements on you. Doesn't help having a brother-in-law who's a long range nut. I've really enjoyed both his Sako and FN SPR. However, I'd like to maintain some measure of portability for hunting (he doesn't seem to care - he's lugging his 15lb Sako out to Wyoming this fall!)

Hopefully, hunting later in the season at Brian's will mean that we head to the northern part of his guide area. The only colored bear I saw was up there (2002) but it was a sow. Not sure of name of the stand. It was in an area that got hit by wind shear, and they no longer hunt it. I saw some nice bears at Charlie's creek, but no color. I'd really like to go back up there.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Hunting with Brian requires Stealth [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Well I just couldn't wait for the stealth II. Found a store closing out the "old" Winchester stealth I for $555 and couldn't pass it up. Now the hunt begins for good deals on scope,bases,rings...