Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Anyone seen the new win. stealth II ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 10:42 AM

Anyone seen the new win. stealth II ?

Have been thinking hard about getting the winchester stealth in .308 but don't know if the new and improved? version stealth II would actually be better than the current stealth model. Has anyone had any hands on experience with the new model yet? Any opinions or comments? Thanks. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone seen the new win. stealth II ?

Have handled three of them, they are very nice. Have not shot one yet, hope to do that soon.

Basically the action and barrel is unchanged, except for one very positive switch - the trigger guard and bottom metal are one-piece. This elliminates one stock bolt, the new system uses a front and back and no center bolt. That is good since overtightening the center bolt is bad for the action.

The stock is slimmer, a bit more Varmint style than benchrest style. Bit of checkering on the pistol grip, slimmer forend, two sling swivel studs.

I feel that the Stealth had excellent potential for being one of the best shooting out of the box rifles available. Get rid of the 8 pound trigger pull and skim-bed it, install hex head stock bolts from B-Square and it does amazing things. The new rifle will be at least as good, probably better. For starters they use hex head stock bolts which is a real improvement right there since the orginal ones are two shallow to allow proper tightening of the bolts.

How does it compare to Remington's VS? Flip a coin and hope you get a good one from either builder, they are good shooters. How do they compare to Savage - they cost more and might not shoot any better but they just seem like more rifle.

If you buy one please let us know how it shoots. Good luck on your gunbuying.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Bronze Member

I found a good deal on a StealthI last month in .308. Accuracy with this rifle is awesome!!! First thing I did was change the screws to the B-square, and turn down the trigger pull to 2.5lbs. My only complaint was the trigger was loose, could wiggle it sideways more than I liked. Fixed it by making a new pin. Original pin was .118" dia, new pin that fit was .1215" dia, eliminated most of the loose tooth effect. While doing some load development I shot the tightest three shot group of my life, under.1" Five shot groups with 45g Varget, 175g SierraMK's are sneaking into .3".
Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Bronze Member

I had the Stealth in 308 and 22.250 sorted the triggers on both very impressive out of the box rifles.Traded the 308 for a 300wm Sharpshooter well what can I say [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] If it could only make tea and toast [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Ian M, Thanks for the report. Guess I was wondering mostly about the new stock, as they list it as a composite, and they don't have as good a reputation for accuracy as the laid up fiberglass stocks.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Could not tell who makes that stock but I would suspect it still might be HS. It is a very nice stock but not a McMillan from my estimation.
I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM

Where can I get one, and how much?

Jim