Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Anyone have a KDF Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone have a KDF Brake?

[ 07-29-2003: Message edited by: mbianchini ]
Old 10-19-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Behle View Post
I recently had a new rifle built, complete with a KDF brake. It's the first rifle I have ever owned with a muzzle brake.

After reading Jake's thread the other day, and of the troubles he has had. I got to wondering about my own brake.

So I spun it off and looked at it. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just a little powder fouling. So I dropped a 200 MK into it, and it got stuck. I tried a different one, same results. I tried some 220 MK, then some Nosler Partitions. All had the same result, none would pass thought the brake. I cleaned it with a brush and solvent, and tried it again, no luck. I measured the inside, the calipers read .3065". Maybe I measured it wrong, but I got the same reading at different angles, several times.

So I called the gunsmith, he said send it back and he would make it right.

No problem, I'm a firm believer that in spite of our best intentions, sometimes bad stuff happens. Not wanting to damage anyone's reputation, due to an honest mistake, I kept quiet and sent it off.

Then just 10 minutes ago, he called me back. Says there is nothing wrong with the brake, but he would be happy to bore it out to the next larger size. I was told I must have been trying to put the bullet in at an angle, and not straight.

Am I nuts? Shouldn't a bullet that measures .3080" pass though a hole that is supposed to be .3240?

Can someone who has one of these brakes, try dropping a bullet trough it and let me know if it fits?

From Plum1doc,
Hi, sorry I have muzzle Brakes on my rifles but, I had them dune by Weatherby, they were dune out from the Factory when I HAD THE RIFLES BUILT,. I do have some that one day I would like them to have brakes put on I'LL send them back to WEATHERBY. When I get a chance I"ll measures the ones I do have and see what they measure.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

FYSA, OP is more than 11 years old.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.