Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Anyone have a KDF Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Re: Anyone have a KDF Brake?

The only thing I know of that will do what you want is a suppressor with an integral brake function.

[ 07-08-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

S1, did you look at their web site before your last post on this subject ?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:37 AM

Hunter...Email me and I will tell you what I really think. I looked at the sight quite extensively, and watched all the videos.

[ 07-09-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 07-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Hunter be aware that well S1 is right. The internals of a suppressor work the same way as a muzzle break. By diverting the concussion of the muzzle into the the suppressor causes a condition just like a muzzle break. Muzzle breaks do not increase noise they just divert it in a different direction. Unfortunately this direction is more toward the shooter. I didn't look at the whole website but if that break on the front page was the one you are looking at it will divert noise toward you because of the holes in the sides. If you want to hunt with a break there are lots of noise reduction units you can wear on your ears. Muzzle breaks have another advantage over plain rifles in that they divert sound away from your target. This will help in case of a miss at long range. Sometimes this will afford you another shot. Good Luck in your venture!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:12 PM

Hi
Im with BP-TEC and we understand brakes, at least we think we do.

You can read the dynamics of rifle recoil at http://www.bp-tec.com/recoil.htm

How are VA Comp is different

Our brake uses the residual pressure and actually slows down the gasses. We work in 2 planes, horizontal and vertical.

Our exit bore in all 4 baffles is usually greater than .500. How can this work, because we actually designed this with a modelling program that is used for high pressure fluids. We could actually model it in time, pressure and volume. Each chamber has the same pressure.The gas velocity from each of the 4 venturies is the same volume and pressure, over the same time frame.

We tune the brake by increasing the internal bore, bleeding off excess gas. There is in most modern rifles more gas than we can use, the side effect to this is no increase in noise as the presure wave is slowed down and sound is a function of pressure. We spread this decreased pressure over a longer period of time through the 4 chambers. The pressure wave is spread over a longer time frame, the length of the VA Comp 1.75 inches.

The function of pressure that we work with is determined more by case and barrel volume than anything else.

Since we shape the high pressure gas, we are actually slowing it down. In most cases we are at 0 db over no muzzle device, sometimes as much as -1dba.

We have done near and far field sound pressure tests with M4, M16 and .308 Bolt guns.

In the videos if you watch the shooters head after the shot in the before and after in slow motion, the reduced head movement is the major factor. By making the rifle hold its horizontal plane, the body is not twisted upward by muzzle rise and much less head movement. We also decelerate the rifle with the 4 baffles at a much slower rate. Thus a much softer feel with no muzzle rise and the rifle is much softer feeling.

Actual reduction in recoil with 7 to 8 lb rifles is around 35% and 40 to 45% for rifles in the 8.5 to 10lb category.

The site is www.bp-tec.com

Rick Hebert
Old 07-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

Hey Tim.. We used a borescope on the KDF I have after running a drill of slightly smaller OD thru the ID of the brake.. If you'd like any further information you can email me.. d:^) JiNC
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

I had the same troubles with my KDF brake on my 30-338 Lupua Imp.. I was driven nuts wondering why the gun was shooting 3 groups at 100yds. Almost to the point of selling the gun.
Bullets were tight so I had it opened up to .340