Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Anyone have a KDF Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Anyone have a KDF Brake?

I recently had a new rifle built, complete with a KDF brake. It's the first rifle I have ever owned with a muzzle brake.

After reading Jake's thread the other day, and of the troubles he has had. I got to wondering about my own brake.

So I spun it off and looked at it. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just a little powder fouling. So I dropped a 200 MK into it, and it got stuck. I tried a different one, same results. I tried some 220 MK, then some Nosler Partitions. All had the same result, none would pass thought the brake. I cleaned it with a brush and solvent, and tried it again, no luck. I measured the inside, the calipers read .3065". Maybe I measured it wrong, but I got the same reading at different angles, several times.

So I called the gunsmith, he said send it back and he would make it right.

No problem, I'm a firm believer that in spite of our best intentions, sometimes bad stuff happens. Not wanting to damage anyone's reputation, due to an honest mistake, I kept quiet and sent it off.

Then just 10 minutes ago, he called me back. Says there is nothing wrong with the brake, but he would be happy to bore it out to the next larger size. I was told I must have been trying to put the bullet in at an angle, and not straight.

Am I nuts? Shouldn't a bullet that measures .3080" pass though a hole that is supposed to be .3240?

Can someone who has one of these brakes, try dropping a bullet trough it and let me know if it fits?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: Anyone have a KDF Brake?

I don't have a KDF brake but I just went and dropped a bullet threw my brake that S1 built for me and the bullet has plenty of room then I did the same with the brake that Dave Tooley did and had the same results.
Crow Mag
Old 07-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Tim

I'll take my KDF off one of my 300 Weatherbys and see what happens.

Later
DC
Old 07-07-2003, 10:44 PM

The funny thing is, you do not need to make the hole a super tight fit to make the brake more effective. A lot of guys try to make up for a ineffective brake design by making the exit hole as small as possible.

.030" over bullet diameter works just fine.

Even the experts that run flow benches for racing heads do not measure flow until the valve is at least .040" off the seat.

Anyone ever looked at cam shaft specs? Notice that the duration spec does not begin until a specific amount lift is achieved.

Anyone see a pattern developing?

The physical laws that govern supersonic gas flow are different than the laws of fluid dynamics that apply to your lawyers Hobie Cat.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Tim

The bullet has plenty of room dropping through my KDF brakes.

Later
DC
Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

S1

The "Holland Brake" instruction sheet calls for a hole to be .020" over bullet diameter.

Have you noticed any difference between bullet clearance of say .016" up to .030" in "felt recoil"??

Would say a 020" clearace give better dampening effects over a .030"??

Jusat wonderimg as I have not had one that was .030" over bullet diameter.

Later
DC
Old 07-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

Thanks DC,

I don't know why he decided to tell me there was nothing wrong with the brake, But I sure couldn't get a bullet to pass all of the way though it.

Tim