Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM

Re: Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

Buying an original certainly has been an idea that has run through my head once or twice during my search, but I imagined it would be pretty difficult to locate one that is of a suitable condition, or that isn't of too much value to modify. I obviously do not know much about the 70, so please forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that a pre-64 Model 70 was a fairly sought after rifle... Hence my desire to find a currently manufactured copy.
Again, itís not so much that I desire to build this rifle around a Model 70 action, but rather everything that it offers. Given my understanding of what a pre-64 is to some people, I would hate to cut into one knowing that I could have bought a currently manufactured action that offers the same things. That being said, I have come across two so far that I have found enough interest in to research further. One is an action build by MRC that is heavily based on the Model 70 and Mauser actions. Unfortunately during that research I discovered that those actions are cast and not machined from a blank. This is not so much of a concern if I knew I would never notice the difference; however, the reports of their poor customer service are. The second action that has caught my attention is the G30 CRF by McMillan. I have not found much one these actions in the form of personal experience and am currently looking for that. Do any of you know much about the G30? It seems very much like a M70 action, minus the Mauser type extractor.

Again, thank you all for you advice.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB86 View Post
Buying an original certainly has been an idea that has run through my head once or twice during my search, but I imagined it would be pretty difficult to locate one that is of a suitable condition, or that isn't of too much value to modify. I obviously do not know much about the 70, so please forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that a pre-64 Model 70 was a fairly sought after rifle... Hence my desire to find a currently manufactured copy.
Again, itís not so much that I desire to build this rifle around a Model 70 action, but rather everything that it offers. Given my understanding of what a pre-64 is to some people, I would hate to cut into one knowing that I could have bought a currently manufactured action that offers the same things. That being said, I have come across two so far that I have found enough interest in to research further. One is an action build by MRC that is heavily based on the Model 70 and Mauser actions. Unfortunately during that research I discovered that those actions are cast and not machined from a blank. This is not so much of a concern if I knew I would never notice the difference; however, the reports of their poor customer service are. The second action that has caught my attention is the G30 CRF by McMillan. I have not found much one these actions in the form of personal experience and am currently looking for that. Do any of you know much about the G30? It seems very much like a M70 action, minus the Mauser type extractor.

Again, thank you all for you advice.

What Caliber are you contemplating? Long action ( 06') model 70's are plentiful, the rifles selling for the equivalent of a quality action. The valuable ones are the oddball caliber pre-war model 70's. ( valuable being relative)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygss View Post
What Caliber are you contemplating? Long action ( 06') model 70's are plentiful, the rifles selling for the equivalent of a quality action. The valuable ones are the oddball caliber pre-war model 70's. ( valuable being relative)
Almost certainly .300 Win Mag. I feel that is a pretty solid middle of the road cartridge, and give me alot of options if I ever start reloading...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB86 View Post
Almost certainly .300 Win Mag. I feel that is a pretty solid middle of the road cartridge, and give me alot of options if I ever start reloading...
So, you could build a 300 Win Mag off of a Long Action ( 30 06' ) pre 64 Winchester Model 70 by opening up the bolt face, and perhaps a follower change/mod.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Probably the best place to look at actions is Benchrest Central Forums. The reason I use Remington style actions is the fact that you can get anything imaginable for an action with a Remington footprint, stocks,custom parts, actions and just about anything that is very rare to find for a Winchester action.
Here is the best description of actions I have found
Custom Actions within AccurateShooter.com
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird1964 View Post
Probably the best place to look at actions is Benchrest Central Forums. The reason I use Remington style actions is the fact that you can get anything imaginable for an action with a Remington footprint, stocks,custom parts, actions and just about anything that is very rare to find for a Winchester action.
Here is the best description of actions I have found
Custom Actions within AccurateShooter.com

This is a good point, and good advice. The Remington is the "small block Chevy" of rifle actions as far as parts and do-dads pre made.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

I'm glad i'm not the only one here that is a Model 70 slut, but then on another note i bought 2 FN TSR's over the last 2 years (223&308) and i like them.