Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

I'm seeing similar threads in this section, so I hope this question is in the right section. If not... give me some time and I'll get everything figured out.

Anyways, I'm currently in the preliminary research phase of building a completely custom, 100% U.S. made and manufactured, multipurpose, bolt gun. My goal is to build a rifle (dare I use the term?) “tactical” in nature that is not only a very capable long range target gun, but also a powerful multi-game hunting rifle. As stated above, I am after long range accuracy; however, reliability is of the utmost importance to me. I need a rifle that will feed and eject every time that I ask it to; one that is able to stand up to prolonged and rugged field use; and finally, one that will stand the test of time and eventually become an heirloom. Because of all of these requirements I have been leaning towards a Model 70 type action; however, this is where I start to run into issues. Because I am trying to build a fully custom tactical rifle, I am having a hard time finding the right action. I have searched and searched, but for the most part I find manufacturers that base their action on the Remington 700. I won’t have it. Essentially I’m not dead set on the Model 70 action, but rather the options that the 70 offers. Controlled feeding, Mauser style extractor, variable ejection, machined, and its three position safety are all very high on my list. So all of that being said, here’s my question: Does anyone out there know of any custom made and manufactured actions based on the Model 70?

Side note: I have been very seriously looking into Montana Rifle Company, but have read quite a bit of negative reviews and feedback… I also recently discovered that their actions are cast and not machined.

Any and all help/comments are very much appreciated.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Re: Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB86 View Post
I'm seeing similar threads in this section, so I hope this question is in the right section. If not... give me some time and I'll get everything figured out.

Anyways, I'm currently in the preliminary research phase of building a completely custom, 100% U.S. made and manufactured, multipurpose, bolt gun. My goal is to build a rifle (dare I use the term?) “tactical” in nature that is not only a very capable long range target gun, but also a powerful multi-game hunting rifle. As stated above, I am after long range accuracy; however, reliability is of the utmost importance to me. I need a rifle that will feed and eject every time that I ask it to; one that is able to stand up to prolonged and rugged field use; and finally, one that will stand the test of time and eventually become an heirloom. Because of all of these requirements I have been leaning towards a Model 70 type action; however, this is where I start to run into issues. Because I am trying to build a fully custom tactical rifle, I am having a hard time finding the right action. I have searched and searched, but for the most part I find manufacturers that base their action on the Remington 700. I won’t have it. Essentially I’m not dead set on the Model 70 action, but rather the options that the 70 offers. Controlled feeding, Mauser style extractor, variable ejection, machined, and its three position safety are all very high on my list. So all of that being said, here’s my question: Does anyone out there know of any custom made and manufactured actions based on the Model 70?

Side note: I have been very seriously looking into Montana Rifle Company, but have read quite a bit of negative reviews and feedback… I also recently discovered that their actions are cast and not machined.

Any and all help/comments are very much appreciated.
Dakota Arms -- Fine Hunting and Safari Rifles
Here you go, very fine actions.

However, why not use a WInchester CRF for your custom?

San Diego Ken's BAD ASS P64 Winny Build - Sniper's Hide Forums

I did, worked out very well.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Montana rifles, I believe:

MRC Actions
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 AM

"However, why not use a WInchester CRF for your custom?"
-And the Model 70 isn't just that?

"Montana rifles, I believe:"
-As stated in my original post, I have looked into MRC very seriously; however, I have read some bad reviews about customer service and quality control.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 AM

Gentlemen, I do very much appreciate your replies. The Dakota action's seem like a solid option and I'll be looking into them more.

Have either of you had any personal experience with the McMillan G30 CRF, or know someone who has? I would prefer to buy from a smaller company, but this action does seem to have quite a few of the options that I'm looking for and at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB86 View Post
"However, why not use a WInchester CRF for your custom?"
-And the Model 70 isn't just that?

"Montana rifles, I believe:"
-As stated in my original post, I have looked into MRC very seriously; however, I have read some bad reviews about customer service and quality control.

Sorry, I didnt articulate my thought properly. Yes, a Model 70 is a Model 70. .

I meant, you could most likely pick up a very nice pre-war M-70 for the $$$ or less than you might spend on a "New" iteration of the M-70. Your project sounds like an exciting one. We will look forward to seeing its progress!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Plenty of originals left. The post 64 copies show up in the classifieds regurally. Brain is seizing this morning somebody (fn?) bought actions and built rifles. I love the originals, but nothing last forever, l just put a Tubb speedlock in my 1941, as springs got noticeably sluggish, and primer ignition got less reliable.