Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

ammonia in coppermelt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

ammonia in coppermelt

I have some coppermelt and I was just wondering why it has stronger ammonia in it than Barnes CR10 ( it will tear your nose off if you give it a sniff)? I thought that the coppermelt was suppose to use enzymes to deal with the copper ? BTW I just compared the ingredients of Butches Bore Shine to GM TEC ( topengine cleaner ) guess what, they are the same! Except that the BUtches cost 4 times as much as the GM TEC.

Not trying to do anything here except understand and go from there .

Jim
Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: ammonia in coppermelt

jimm from what I understand the ammonia smell comes from the secreations of all the enzymes hince the strong smell.
It's kinda like a bat cave (learned this on discovery channel) all the waste a bat leaves in the cave give off a terrible ammonia smell to the point of having to wear masks when exploring inside them!
I may be wrong but this is what I gathered from reading studies on enzymes and watching the discovery channel.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Ahhh So Mr. Rum,

I think I am learning here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , Really , thanks for that , The product has a "made in Canada " label and only said "contains ammonia" on the label.
As I said , only wanting to understand , and go from there .

Jim
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

jimm I may be wrong but I think secreations from all living creatures contain or create an ammonia content ( I'm no biologist so don't quote me ) once excreeted.
Take a cats litter box for example after a couple times urinating in the sand it gives off an ammonia smell.
I also know that people urinating in the same spot say behind a bush in the park after a little time will do the same thing.
Basicaly ammonia is a byproduct of the enzymes is what I been trying to say with my round about way of typing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I know you mean no harm in your posts against coppermelt and were only curious to why the strong ammonia smell when enzymes are the main ingredient.
The stuff works great for me!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

enzymes don't "secrete" anything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
enzymes don't "secrete" anything

[/ QUOTE ]
Well what else can you tell us about this? Do the enzymes have anything to do with the creation of the ammonia? Or are you trying to draw a distinction between secretions (like sweat) and byproducts (Like excrement)?

I'm not sure what you are trying to help us know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

4ked -- i guess i could have left the quotes out...wasnt a word usage issue.

Enzymes are globs of protein with associated metals as cofactors.

They dont excrete, secrete or otherwise.

I dont see how the enzyme can "attack" the copper...so im not really sure what is going on here.

Maybe copper is a required cofactor that makes the enzyme work...but what it is "working on" i dont know.

Another thing that makes me nervous:

This is obviously a buffered solution...BUFFER = SALT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

My GUESS is one of these enzymes may be relavent: http://www.expasy.org/cgi-bin/enzyme-search-cf?Copper

Basic Enzyme info:
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...eKinetics.html
http://www.science-projects.com/Tyrosinase.htm

[DISCLAIMER] I have never used Coppermelt. Observations based on Biology only [/DISCLAIMER]

That should protect me from the impending onslaught [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

JB