Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Allen Mags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Allen Mags?

Thanks for the reply Kirby. Could you tell us some more info on the 257 and 6.5 AX rounds? What boltface do they use? Long or short action?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lerch,

As you already know, you will be first in line to test this out!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lobo,

Basically these two rounds were an idea to get more performance in a standard length action. That being one designed for an OAL of 3.400" which is what the Ruger M77 and Win M70 standard length actions will accept.

The parent case is the 300 Dakota case which is 2.550" in length. The case id modified to the same Allen Magnum configuration in body and shoulder specs.

Being roughly 10 grains less in case capacity then the Allen Magnums, the Allen Xpress rounds will be more user friendly as well. In the 257 AX, the 100 to 120 gr bullets will be much more user friendly then in the big Allen Magnum and still offer at least the same performance as the 257 STW will offer but in a true standard length receiver instead of a long action. In the Rem 700 receiver this will not matter at all but it will offer high performance with slightly longer barrel life. While certainly no where near the equal of the Allen Magnums, the Allen Xpress rounds are still on the top of the performance heap on their respective calibers.

I am currently debating on releasing a 270 Allen Xpress as well but need to do some measuring to see if the longer bullet nose will allow them to be chambered into a standard length receiver. We will see. Would offer 270 STW performance.

The head diameter of the 300 Dakota brass is the same as the RUM except that it has a true 404 Jeffery rim diameter. On the Ruger M77 rifles, there is generally enough room to not require any bolt face opening. The extractor does need to be relieved for this though but thats an easy job. Just a little stoning needed there. Other bolts may need to be relieved slightly but when accurizing a receiver this is a 15 second job since the bolt is already dialed in for machining on the lathe.

In my test rifle, the formed Allen Xpress rounds feed very nicely from the unconverted 7mm Rem Mag based Ruger M77 MkII. It will only accept two rounds in the magazine though for a total payload of 3 rounds with one up the pipe.

Still I don;t know to many guys on this board that ever need more then two rounds at most and generally only one so there are plenty for reserve!!!

Here is the first look at the 6.5mm Allen Xpress. On the left is a 264 Win Mag loaded with the 140 gr A-Max. Middle is the 6.5mm Allen Xpress and on the right is the big 270 Allen Mag loaded with the 140 gr Accubond.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
SPONSOR

HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks Kirby
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Kirby, The 6.5AX certainly looks impressive, and its release comes at a time when I have been seriously looking at case possibilities for the Krieger 26 inch, 3 contour, 1 in 7 twist 25 cal barrel that I ordered last week. Also, my latest order from Richard includes 125, 130, and 156 grain bullets, and is due to arrive here in Oz in 2 weeks. (Already have some 142)

I have been looking for a rimless case that could provide a case capacity in the 85 - 95 grain range, and is capable of working through a magazine. Hoping to achieve 3250 - 3300 with the 142 grain bullet, and about 3100+ with the 156 grain bullet.

I had been looking at the 6.5m x68mm, 7mm Dakota, 7mm RUM, and even considered the rebated .425 Westley Richards. The 7mm Dakota seemed the best of those options, as it appeared to involve just necking down to .257 without any fireforming or shortening.

This is not meant as a criticism, but I note that you are using the 300 Dakota case, rather than the 7mm Dakota, and wondered what advantages the 300 Dakota case would have offered over the 7mm Dakota. I realise that the 300 Dakota with the .050 extra length would have about 5 - 7 grains (maybe more) extra capacity, but the 7mm Dakota would have been 1 less step in necking down to 6.5 or .257, and also a bit more friendly with magazine length, when using the longest bullets.

I guess that I am a convert to the longer neck design, but the 7mm Dakota has a .333 neck against .310 on the 300 Dakota, and a shoulder angle of 30 degrees against 32 for the 300. It appears from the graphic, that the shoulder of the 300 Dakota has been pushed forward and the neck shortened slightly.

One of the constant criticisms of the Dakota cartridges is the cost of brass, and naturally wondered whether this is likely to continue, or can we expect some relief from current prices in the future.

I commend you on the current initiative and also in the courage you have shown in developing new cases that you believe will benefit the smaller but nonetheless important niche market of long range shooters. I hope that this project succeeds, and at times like this wish I lived in the US, so I could access your services. Good luck, Brian.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

I believe Lapua will be making the Dakota brass now. That should prompt some more wildcatting too imo.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

sewwhat89, I agree, even if the price of Dakota cases do not fall, if Lapua take over the manufacturing I believe a lot more people will be prepared to use the cases in their rifles. Brian.